Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Verteen
New Member!
UK
Verteen is female 

03-02-2017, 09:00 PM

Re: Wuthering Heights

Having watched various televised/movie versions of the tale...I have to say, I dreaded reading the book when someone in my book club chose it. I hate it when I know when someone will die (I assume that there's no need for spoiler control here?).

However, Cathy was such a spoiled princess and Heathcliff a dispicable animal killing psychopath (oh, yes he was)...I couldn't wait for Cathy to pop her precious clogs. As for Heathcliff....he goes waaaaaay beyond being a bad boy.

Soz....hated it.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2017, 09:10 PM

I finished it but found both the main characters very annoying and didn't care what happened to them in the end.
Much preferred Jane Eyre by Charlotte.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 01:42 AM

Charlotte was definitely more readable, but there is something very special about Wuthering Heights. For that era it was very wild and abandoned. It's that free spirit of the moors that she captures so beautifully. It's amazing when that the entire Bronte family were pretty much wiped out in youth and yet their work has made such a lasting impression.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Charlotte was definitely more readable, but there is something very special about Wuthering Heights. For that era it was very wild and abandoned. It's that free spirit of the moors that she captures so beautifully. It's amazing when that the entire Bronte family were pretty much wiped out in youth and yet their work has made such a lasting impression.
Yes, it is amazing isn't it. I did finish the book and thought it was ok.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, it is amazing isn't it. I did finish the book and thought it was ok.
Well done on getting to the end! Will you be reading any more Bronte?

I haven't read any Anne Bronte yet but your thread has inspired me to try her books
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Well done on getting to the end! Will you be reading any more Bronte?

I haven't read any Anne Bronte yet but your thread has inspired me to try her books
Possibly but I do like to read something modern between classics.

I recently tried Far from the Madding crowd but didn't get very far. I found it far too dragged out; A whole chapter was devoted to a young lady arriving on a horse and cart, then losing her hat.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2017, 06:28 PM

Did you see To Walk Invisible on TV over Christmas?
Incredible!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-02-2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Possibly but I do like to read something modern between classics.

I recently tried Far from the Madding crowd but didn't get very far. I found it far too dragged out; A whole chapter was devoted to a young lady arriving on a horse and cart, then losing her hat.
Well Hardy is pretty heavy going at the best of times so perfectly understandable!

In case you haven't read any, Virginia Wolf's fiction is quite interesting if you wanted a more recent classic. "The waves" is almost like an impressionist painting in its style of analysing characters' lives in an abstract way. I've just opened it on a totally random page :

"All is solid now. Instinctively my palate now requires and anticipates sweetness and lightness, something sugared and evanescent; and cool wine fitting glove-like over those finer nerves that seem to tremble from the roof of my mouth and make it spread (as I drink) into a domed cavern, green with vine leaves, musk-scented, purple with grapes."
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-02-2017, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Did you see To Walk Invisible on TV over Christmas?
Incredible!
I did see that yes It was good to see something finally about the fabulous and gifted Brontes and it's surprising that no Hollywood film has yet been made on the subject of their lives.

I've been to Haworth, lovely town, yummy tea and cakes too!
Suehebbs
Athens Greece
Suehebbs is female 

25-11-2017, 10:18 AM

WH must be my favourite book, I find it moody and having family ties from Yorkshire I always really enjoy reading it. There are quite a few versions, my Mum bought me an edition of it with lots of originally left out dialogue, I did find it more difficult to read.
It's definitely not a book that men enjoy generally.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top