Join for free
Page 13 of 28 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 09:20 AM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We've had this discussion before - that nobody voting in the 70s referendum knew that the Treaty of Rome had "Ever Closer Union" in its first sentence. How many voting in those days had even heard of the Treaty?
I voted "No" and when you lot said "Yes" I left (again).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I disagree with that. I firmly belief that Thatcher started the rot when she tore apart the fabric of British society with her belief that Britain is not a society but an economy and her violent ideological attack on sections of that society.
I agree with you, many of todays problems stem directly frm her, I do wonder if she had further plans might have righted it all but didn't have time to implement them, or if she was truly evil, I prefer not to think she was the latter.

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
No, we failed to prevent it.

I am not sure I agree, looking back with hindsight our political elite have been working towards greater unity for decades they forgot the public might have different ideas hence the referendum took them by surprise. Our elite working directly against the public and they still are doing it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Oh FFS ! How many more aliases !

Please quit with this "Project Fear" utter Billy BS.

It's amazing how massively concerned the EU is with the UK leaving. Forums everywhere flooded with endless new aliases all trying their level best to sow fear and uncertainty.

It's so blatantly obvious the UK is doing EXACTLY THE RIGHT THING in leaving the EU.

Posts like yours remind us every day that we are on the right course. That cutting free of this corrupt federal state is the best thing for us all in the long term.

We know it will be painful in the short term. You really don't need to tell us. We ARE NOT the least bit frightened of that pain. We WILL endure it, we will shoulder lost jobs if necessary and do whatever it takes to see it through.

You can't scare us with Project Fear and Project Hysteria nonsense.

I wonder just how many people on here are still pushing for us to remain in the EU. Or is it as little as TWO, each under several aliases?

My Local Limp Dem councillors are still harping on about 'no deal' being 'unthinkable' and that it just 'cannot happen'.
They obviously live in Cloud Cuckoo Land!
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
The old jaded “Projet Fear” sound byte again which is used to cover up the fact that no leaver can explain exactly how we will be better off and how we will prosper that isn’t an easily disproven fallacy.

At least there is some light at the end of the tunnel in that you recognise that it will be painful and there will be job losses. If we do not secure a deal that facilitates seamless trade with the EU then the pain may not be short term.

While you might be ok with losing your job (if you have one) as an acceptable pice to pay for leaving the EU, I’d wager that is sacrifice too far for many.

While the rest of the world looks on at what the UK is doing with incredulity. You response to any view that differs from yours is to shout the battle cry “Projest Fear” and march blindly onwards to the promised land as portrayed by the wealthy disaster capitalists.

What an excellent post, correct and to the point.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I voted "No" and when you lot said "Yes" I left (again).
I wasn't old enough to vote so not in that "you lot" group. I do remember having a lot of pro European messages at school in the years following the vote.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree with you, many of todays problems stem directly frm her, I do wonder if she had further plans might have righted it all but didn't have time to implement them, or if she was truly evil, I prefer not to think she was the latter.
She definitely created a lot of the problems we have today, but when she took office other other lot had driven the country into the ground. I don't think we had ever seen anything like the awful mess we were in then. In the short term she totally revived the economy and the lives of ordinary people, but at the expense of the NHS and education. Her poll tax was something I'd have thought you approve of as it was trying to get everyone in the economy to contribute to tax. But her policies set off a slow burning time bomb.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 02:30 PM

Meanwhile in other news... here comes the Aachen Treaty and more EU state rule courtesy of Macron and Merkel.

Notice how member state (sorry country) borders will have merged transport and utilities ? Here comes the EU to replace countries with "EU Regions".
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
She definitely created a lot of the problems we have today, but when she took office other other lot had driven the country into the ground. I don't think we had ever seen anything like the awful mess we were in then. In the short term she totally revived the economy and the lives of ordinary people, but at the expense of the NHS and education. Her poll tax was something I'd have thought you approve of as it was trying to get everyone in the economy to contribute to tax. But her policies set off a slow burning time bomb.
No poll tax was awful, It assumed everyone could afford to pay the same, I wasn't working the year it came in I had my nan near death most of that year and she needed me more than work did, so I had carers allowance of if I remember it correctly £25 a week, my husband earned £200 a week and we both got the same bill. Of course he paid mine for me but the principle was wrong, it put many women at a disadvantage with men not as happy as mine to pay for them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Hi

Project Fantasy is worse than Project Fear.

The EU will not come running and due to our useless Politicians we are simply not ready to leave.

No Country in the World has enough Trade Negotiators to replicate the 40 plus Trade Deals we are leaving with No Deal.

It will hurt far more than it needed to and I find this very wrong.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-01-2019, 03:22 PM

It's not fantasy to hope for the best knowing how we are usually able to make the best no matter what's thrown at our country. If we could fight wars and recover we will get through this no matter how we leave. No one is saying it will happen overnight but in 5 years I think we will look back and be pleased we left, if the remainers are willing to stop trying to make things happen their way and accept the vote went against them. What worries me is how many will try to make us fail to say they told us so.

Page 13 of 28 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top