Join for free
Page 5 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 12:30 PM

Re: Brexit - Can you ever please both sides?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Annie, you are wrong. your post stating that no other country has ever left the EU is incorrect! I can quote three that have already left the EU prior to the UK.

ALGERIA.
As a full part of France, Algeria was a member of the Common Market between 1957 and 1962. That ended when they gained their independence in 1962.

GREENLAND
Greenland joined as part of Denmark in 1973. After winning home rule it held a referendum on membership in 1982 and 53 per cent voted to leave.

SAINT BARTHELEMY
The Caribbean island of Saint Barthelemy become a member of the EU as part of Guadeloupe, an overseas department of France. This ceased when Guadeloupe seceded.
These, of course, were all territories of EU member states.

I maintain that no fully independent states have left the EU since its transmutation from the EEC.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 01:17 PM

I don't know about pleasing both sides. I looks to me that neither side is pleased at all and I am starting to believe that will still be the case after 29th March.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Annie, you are wrong. your post stating that no other country has ever left the EU is incorrect! I can quote three that have already left the EU prior to the UK.

ALGERIA.
As a full part of France, Algeria was a member of the Common Market between 1957 and 1962. That ended when they gained their independence in 1962.

GREENLAND
Greenland joined as part of Denmark in 1973. After winning home rule it held a referendum on membership in 1982 and 53 per cent voted to leave.

SAINT BARTHELEMY
The Caribbean island of Saint Barthelemy become a member of the EU as part of Guadeloupe, an overseas department of France. This ceased when Guadeloupe seceded.

Leaving the EEC was easy-ish, we left it ourselves. I can understand a country leaving the EU easily when it completely changes its geopolitical status. e.g. if there is a civil war etc. St Barthelemy isn't a country though. St Barthelemy separated from Guadeloupe, Guadeloupe is still part of the EU. Special member state territories are treated differently from the main country. It's not clear for example whether the Falklands are part of the EU.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't know about pleasing both sides. I looks to me that neither side is pleased at all and I am starting to believe that will still be the case after 29th March.
Which is what the original post was all about...!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
These, of course, were all territories of EU member states.

I maintain that no fully independent states have left the EU since its transmutation from the EEC.

As far as I know no other country has triggered article 50 if that's what you mean ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 03:19 PM

I am wondering if we should be trying to please both sides at all. We had a simple leave stay option, leave won. Do we try to make labour supporters in tory areas happy or vice versa. or do we say the other side won we have to suck it up and get on with life ?

It's been 40 years since we joined I don't remember anyone saying those of us didn't want to stay in should be pandered to and made happy, it was very much tough you lost.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 03:21 PM

That's the problem Julie. They say it was too simple a choice for a complex situation. Now they are talking about another vote as people know what they want & they could structure the questions better so that you know what you're getting if you vote one way or another.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 03:28 PM

They are only saying that because they lost you won't find many leavers saying it. That's part of the problem they won't accept what we voted for and think they can change it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-01-2019, 03:35 PM

Commentators who voted leave are saying it too. It's only on this forum that we don't look at things objectively.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's the problem Julie. They say it was too simple a choice for a complex situation. Now they are talking about another vote as people know what they want & they could structure the questions better so that you know what you're getting if you vote one way or another.
This is of course hogwash and you well know it ANnie.

What they really mean there is that they have had time to use media control to brainwash large portions of the populous and now feel more confident that if they "ask again" they will get the answer they want.

That entire precept is utter Billy BS.

Every General Election we have is totally predicated on the understanding that large portions of the populous have been fed and soaked with poilitical propaganda in order that they will vote a specific way. Whoever manages to run the best media campaign will essentially win the election.

We only have to look at the wholly duped and conned young electorate who fell for Commie Corbyn's and Looney Labour's totally false promises of wiping student debts and having free tuition fees.

The populous WILL ALWAYS BE MISINFORMED and purposely duped by political groups to make them vote a specific way. There will NEVER be any point where people are properly and fully informed and able to make a sound objective decision. THAT is how UK politics operates.

The referendum was no exception. Whether people were given true information or the right information or enough information is of no concern. They were asked Leave or Stay and they voted Leave.

End of.

The Remain camp should have perhaps spent more time trying to justify how good and positive Staying would be rather than spending all their campaign saying how bad Leaving would be.

Unfortunately for you, they didn't.

The result stands, and will continue to stand.

Misinformation is not an excuse for another referendum

Ignorance is not an excuse for another referendum

People not bothering to vote is not an excuse for another referendum

"We don't like the result", is not an excuse for another referendum

There simply can be NO SECOND REFERENDUM unless it is one that does not challenge the result of the previous referendum.

That people are continuing to pervert the democratic process is tragic and dispicable. They should be punished for it, just as you would be punished for trying to rig election votes.

Page 5 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top