Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 09:48 AM

SpaceX puts up 60 internet satellites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48289204

A Falcon-9 rocket launched from Cape Canaveral in Florida late on Thursday, packed with 60 satellites capable of giving users on the ground high-speed connections to the internet.

Entrepreneur Elon Musk's firm aims eventually to loft nearly 12,000 spacecraft for its "Starlink" network.
Is there room up there for all these satellites?

There is increasing unease about the number of satellites that could be launched in the next few years - for many purposes, not just broadband delivery - and how this might potentially clog up the space environment.

To give context to what is about to happen - there are just 2,000 operational satellites in orbit today, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists' database. SpaceX's ambitions alone, if fully realised, would dwarf this population.

The great fear is that congested orbital highways will result in collisions and the production of debris that then initiates further destructive encounters.
Space Debris

The rising population of space debris increases the potential danger to all space vehicles, but especially to the International Space Station, space shuttles and other spacecraft with humans aboard.

Orbital Debris

Orbital debris is any man-made object in orbit about the Earth which no longer serves a useful function. Such debris includes nonfunctional spacecraft, abandoned launch vehicle stages, mission-related debris and fragmentation debris.

There are more than 20,000 pieces of debris larger than a softball orbiting the Earth. They travel at speeds up to 17,500 mph, fast enough for a relatively small piece of orbital debris to damage a satellite or a spacecraft. There are 500,000 pieces of debris the size of a marble or larger. There are many millions of pieces of debris that are so small they can’t be tracked.
There aren't any plastic bags up there ..... yet .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 09:56 AM

Re: SpaceX puts up 60 internet satellites

That was my first thought when I heard they intend to put 12,000 satellites up there. Surely at some point they will be falling out of the sky and hit us on the head. I know the Earth is a big place but I'm feeling unlucky.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That was my first thought when I heard they intend to put 12,000 satellites up there. Surely at some point they will be falling out of the sky and hit us on the head. I know the Earth is a big place but I'm feeling unlucky.
The stupiity of CLEVER? people

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
The stupiity of CLEVER? people

Regards Donkeyman!
That's true but we'll be OK so long as we can't buy a coffee in a plastic cup.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's true but we'll be OK so long as we can't buy a coffee in a plastic cup.
I admire your satire LD!
But what we are seeing l think is the beginning of the
privatisation of space!
Soon private companies will be taking ownership of
asteroids etc and then bringing them from the asteroid
belt back to earth orbit where they can pillage them for
minerals etc, They will do this without thoughts of any
consequences that might be caused by their actions
I dont care to think what will happen in the next 50yrs
let alone 100?

Best Regards Donkeymab!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top