Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 04:14 PM

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Apologies if this has already been mentioned - I scanned the thread first and didn't find a mention:

'Acoustic cameras' tested in bid to cut noisy vehicles

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

Obviously, like the use of speed cameras, this will be unpopular in many quarters but will it combat vehicle noise levels .....

I heard this on the news today too, Omah.

I tell you what we get round here sometimes, more in the summer, is some prat on one of those quad bikes things.
Gawd, it don't half make a racket and he revs it deliberately as he pulls away from the junction. It really is ear splitting.

Are they allowed on the roads in built up areas?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I heard this on the news today too, Omah.

I tell you what we get round here sometimes, more in the summer, is some prat on one of those quad bikes things.
Gawd, it don't half make a racket and he revs it deliberately as he pulls away from the junction. It really is ear splitting.

Are they allowed on the roads in built up areas?
AFAIK, as long as vehicle an rider are road-legal, yes ..... the quad must be registered with the DVLA, have number plates which are displayed to legal standards, indicators, speedometer, lights and mirrors - the rider must have a Full Driving Licence.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
AFAIK, as long as vehicle an rider are road-legal, yes ..... the quad must be registered with the DVLA, have number plates which are displayed to legal standards, indicators, speedometer, lights and mirrors - the rider must have a Full Driving Licence.

Oh ok, thanks Omah.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I should imagine that Khan would be first in the queue to buy a load of them for Londonistan.
Yes that'll bring in some dosh.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes that'll bring in some dosh.
Yes. He'll be able to buy a new Trump balloon to replace the one which, sadly, was stabbed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I heard about these cameras on TV this morning. the trouble is, I suppose they will all be sited in the cities where they will bring in most revenue, not out in the sticks where the yobs are running riot.
I think they are more concerned with trucks using exhaust brakes in built up areas because they are very noisy.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think they are more concerned with trucks using exhaust brakes in built up areas because they are very noisy.
Exhaust brakes??
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Exhaust brakes??
Yes, exhaust brakes, quite effective (but no substitute for wheel brakes) but they can make a loud staccato noise when in use, most if not all diesel trucks have them but they can be turned off.

I think the Americans call them Jake Brakes (not 100% sure on that)

Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Exhaust brakes??
I had never heard of that type of braking system either – more information for that learning curve called life. On checking it out apparently there are two types of braking system, one called exhaust braking and the other which is engine braking. It's the engine braking system that is noisy and banned in some areas for that reason.

The links below explain each type of system quite well I thought:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...ine-brakes.htm

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...ne-brakes2.htm

Finding this information is all well and good but I have yet to find out what use it's going to be at well over retirement age, are there grants for 70+ age group students I wonder?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Yes, exhaust brakes, quite effective (but no substitute for wheel brakes) but they can make a loud staccato noise when in use, most if not all diesel trucks have them but they can be turned off.

– Snip –
You beat me to it by one minute Bruce, apologies for adding my post without realising that.

However, there must be a difference in the terminology as the information I found is I believe the opposite to your's? That's interesting if nothing else! Or have I got that wrong I wonder?

Edited to add this extract from the first link I found:

"Though engine brakes are a very important component to maintaining safety on the open road, they are often met with opposition in populated areas. And signs prohibiting their use can be found all across the country."

No, it's not me or the terminology, it's the website information that it seems is incorrect!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top