Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:17 AM

Re: My Dad Again

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Does your Dad do sitting exercises?

I've read that even a modest amount of sittting exercise can have a very good effect on blood pressure and overall health in the over-80s.

Here's one source, but there are others....

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercis.../> exercises/
Yes he does, I bought him one of those bike pedals where you sit on your armchair and pedal with your feet. He also does armchair excercises. Thanks for the link x
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The nurse probably said that because she didn't know the answer. Instead she should have made an appointment for a blood test to determine the cause.

He should be on blood pressure medication. At that age it's often down to kidney function so important to keep it controlled, particularly with diabetes. My mum's the same age and has similar issues. It's very difficult for people that age to lose weight because they aren't able to be as active.

It's a shame your dad now feels he has to give up foods that bring him comfort. There's not much else to make you feel good than eating something you fancy when you're over 80 and housebound. They just need to get him on the right meds and leave older people to eat what they like.
Thanks Annie.

He has chronic kidney disease and he is on blood pressure meds. They did blood tests last week and they said the results were fine no further action required.

He had been having regular blood tests over the past couple of years and no one told us he had chronic kidney disease, we only found out because he was rushed in hospital with very high potassium levels.

The communication is dreadful on the NHS these days.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thanks Annie.

He has chronic kidney disease and he is on blood pressure meds. They did blood tests last week and they said the results were fine no further action required.

He had been having regular blood tests over the past couple of years and no one told us he had chronic kidney disease, we only found out because he was rushed in hospital with very high potassium levels.

The communication is dreadful on the NHS these days.
LQ I've re-read your other thread and I am really surprised the nurse said such a thing given his recent history. Perhaps she didn't want to worry him as he is probably thinking about his kidney problems?

The same thing happened to my mum in terms of informing us that she had chronic kidney disease. It wasn't until her GP retired and she changed doctors that we found out. They put this sort of thing down to old age and don't think of making it an issue for relatives. But it's a shock when you find stage 2 renal failure on a hospital admission form which is what happened to us.

I'm sorry you're going through this and I hope your dad is feeling better.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's the norm around here. When I go for my blood tests and what have you, I'm always seen by the practice nurse who has been trained to do various tests and treatments. She certainly knows her stuff.
Spot on and my nurse can proscibes drugs as well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top