Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Re: Spiders v Mosquito's

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sounds good to me, Surfermom, but then - I like spiders!

Am i the only person on the planet that has never seen a Mosquito - not even when I was in India?
I spent two hours chasing them around my room once in Yugoslavia. Quick little buggers they were, much faster than the ones we get.

Strangely, I managed to catch one in my hand whilst being half asleep.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Funny you should start this thread Donkeyman, because only this very morning I was reading about a new and cheap Malaria test which they are saying could save countless lives.

I will quote part of the article:

Quote:

" A new test made from a strip of paper ha successfully detected Malaria in schoolchildren in Uganda, east Africa.

Malaria is a disease passed to humans by hungry female Anopeles Mosquitoes.
When the mosquito bites someone, parasites in it's saliva are injected into the person.

Identifying people with Malaria is one of the main challenges when fighting the disease. The best tests require fancy equipment, trained technicians, and they are expensive. This makes them difficult for people living in remote areas and poorer parts of the world, but this new test may offer a cheap alternative.

The test consists of a strip of waxy paper on which a drop of blood is placed. The paper has a special coating that prepares the blood for testing when the strip is folded.
It is then put on to another testing strip that detects the malaria parasite.
The entire thing is sealed and placed on a hot plate for 45 mins.
If malaria is detected, two red stripes show up on the testing strips. If not, only one red stripe will show.

In the first trial on a group of children the test correctly diagnosed malaria in 98% of cases.

Anti-malaria drugs kill the parasites when they enter the liver but the tablets are expensive.
Chemically treated mosquito nets, which cost just £2 each, could prevent half of all malaria cases worldwide."

Unquote.

* As an aside, I can react badly to some insect bites, it happens every summer and I have to go on Penicillin quite quickly.
I am paranoid about searching my bedroom for gnats before I go to bed, else the little blighters zoom down and get me during the night.
One bite last year made my arm swell from my wrist up to past my elbow!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 04:12 PM

I've never met a gnat either - I must lead a very sheltered life!

Come to think of it - the only thing I have ever been bitten by was a spider - and that was entirely my own fault - I accidentally disturbed her 'nursery' web while tidying the garage. Not something I would care to repeat.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 04:19 PM

It's weird, because for most of my life I wasn't particularly bothered by gnats etc. biting me.

Ok, I might get the odd bite, but it was just the odd one.

However, since I have got older, I seem to be more susceptible to them, which is a pain.

I suppose changing hormone levels have made my blood tastier or something!

The World Health Organisation sell an insect repellant cream that has no nasty chemicals in it.......it's made from plant extracts.
I use that when I'm abroad, or likely to go somewhere gnatty, and it seems to work reasonably well.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit.....no, can't find it. Perhaps they've stopped selling it.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Funny you should start this thread Donkeyman, because only this very morning I was reading about a new and cheap Malaria test which they are saying could save countless lives.

I will quote part of the article:

Quote:

" A new test made from a strip of paper ha successfully detected Malaria in schoolchildren in Uganda, east Africa.

Malaria is a disease passed to humans by hungry female Anopeles Mosquitoes.
When the mosquito bites someone, parasites in it's saliva are injected into the person.

Identifying people with Malaria is one of the main challenges when fighting the disease. The best tests require fancy equipment, trained technicians, and they are expensive. This makes them difficult for people living in remote areas and poorer parts of the world, but this new test may offer a cheap alternative.

The test consists of a strip of waxy paper on which a drop of blood is placed. The paper has a special coating that prepares the blood for testing when the strip is folded.
It is then put on to another testing strip that detects the malaria parasite.
The entire thing is sealed and placed on a hot plate for 45 mins.
If malaria is detected, two red stripes show up on the testing strips. If not, only one red stripe will show.

In the first trial on a group of children the test correctly diagnosed malaria in 98% of cases.

Snti-malaria drugs kill the parasites when they enter the liver but the tablets are expensive.
Chemically treated mosquito nets, which cost just £2 each, could prevent half of all malaria cases worldwide."

Unquote.

* As an aside, I can react badly to some insect bites, it happens every summer and I have to go on Penicillin quite quickly.
I am paranoid about searching my bedroom for gnats before I go to bed, else the little blighters zoom down and get me during the night.
One bite last year made my arm swell from my wrist up to past my elbow!
The fight against malaria was being won Mups in Africa at
least, by an Africa wide spraying strategy taking place at
an optimal time every year! but since getting independence
the majority of countries have let this practise lapse! With
the result that malaria is making a comeback!
It is good for the enviroment that spraying has lapsed but
bad for humans!
We must make our choice!

Regards Donkeyman!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Mosquitoes target me as soon as we get off the plane on holiday and no matter what spray, cream or other I use the perishers bite me every time. Mr Mags always gets away with it scot free One year when we arrived home, I had to go to the walk-in centre as the bites on my ankles and legs had turned into huge liquid filled blisters and the nurse had to lance and drain the biggest ones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It's weird, because for most of my life I wasn't particularly bothered by gnats etc. biting me.

Ok, I might get the odd bite, but it was just the odd one.

However, since I have got older, I seem to be more susceptible to them, which is a pain.

I suppose changing hormone levels have made my blood tastier or something!

The World Health Organisation sell an insect repellant cream that has no nasty chemicals in it.......it's made from plant extracts.
I use that when I'm abroad, or likely to go somewhere gnatty, and it seems to work reasonably well.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit.....no, can't find it. Perhaps they've stopped selling it.

Pyxell, might you be talking about this one?

It is called 'Incognito'. I bought some.
I believe it was Omah who told me about it when I was bad last year.

It's got no nasty Deet or Parabens in it.

https://www.planetorganic.com/incogn...tent=Incognito
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pyxell, might you be talking about this one?

It is called 'Incognito'. I bought some.
I believe it was Omah who told me about it when I was bad last year.

https://www.planetorganic.com/incogn...tent=Incognito
No, not that one.

I'll go and dig the bottle out and see what it's called.
(It must be quite old now, as a little goes a long way!)

Edit......it's Alfresco.

It's in completely different packaging, now, and in a tube instead of a pump bottle, and they seem to have a range of insect repellant moisturisers and perfumes now, as well.

https://www.alfrescoshop.com/all-products

It's not cheap, but it works quite well for me, and much nicer on the skin than DEET!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Thanks Pyxell, the other one has no deet or parabens either.

Ta muchly though, I'll look into that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2019, 05:56 AM

Everything you ever needed to know about mozzies

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top