Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Noisy cars

I know this has been mentioned a few times by various members on the 'What annoys you' thread but living close to a road as I do, sometimes it sounds like I am at a Donington Park track event; there are lots of cars which sound like the exhaust is being dragged along a cobbled street and motorcycles that make my suspended floor shake. It's even worse in the summer with a window open.

My neighbour (a nice enough bloke) always takes four or five goes at parking because he is in love with the sound of his engine when he revs it.

Whatever happened to the rules about noisy vehicles or have they been shelved along with all the other obvious stuff?

Before anyone says it, I know I'm getting old and turning into a grumpy old git but I can remember the number of times my old jalopies failed their MOTs because the exhaust was too noisy.
Cold Feet
New Member!
Berwickshire
Cold Feet is male 

25-05-2019, 03:46 PM

Re: Noisy cars

The MOT rules say that the exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level normally expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition. There's no actual limit in terms of decibel levels, it's up to the MOT tester to decide what is unreasonable.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:54 PM

I think that the attitude of that arsehole Clarkson and others like him who revel in the `throaty` noises pumped out of the exhaust pipes of sporty cars have created the problem. It's the same mentality of those young morons skittling up and down roads on their weedy and under-powered 2-stroke mopeds/scooters who think it's fun to rev the arse off their machines in a low gear just to hear the noise it makes and in some instances, drill small holes in the exhaust to make them sound more powerful than they actually are.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than tootling down a motorway with a mid-engined sports jobby growling away at the back of the drivers seat. Would give me a real doozy of a headache.

I much prefer gliding along in a near silent car where you can at least hear the radio.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Never mind LD old fruit, soon all cars will be electric and sneaking up on people from behind in country lanes.
Sometimes, if the wind is in the right direction, of a quiet summer evening, I can here the drifters up the Gorge.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think that the attitude of that arsehole Clarkson and others like him who revel in the `throaty` noises pumped out of the exhaust pipes of sporty cars have created the problem. It's the same mentality of those young morons skittling up and down roads on their weedy and under-powered 2-stroke mopeds/scooters who think it's fun to rev the arse off their machines in a low gear just to hear the noise it makes and in some instances, drill small holes in the exhaust to make them sound more powerful than they actually are.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than tootling down a motorway with a mid-engined sports jobby growling away at the back of the drivers seat. Would give me a real doozy of a headache.

I much prefer gliding along in a near silent car where you can at least hear the radio.
Not much to argue with there...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:00 PM

If it gets to much go to your local council and ask for the noise abatement people. They should come out and monitor the noise and report back even fine the offenders. No one will know who lodged the complaint as they are not allowed to reveal that information
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Yes.
I used to have a Jag XJS V12.
We were on our way back to the office after a pub lunch and my admin assistant was with me. We stopped at a Give Way sign.
"You've stalled it" she scolded me.
Yes, it really was that quiet. Quieter than my boss's Roller.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Hi

The gits put a good silencer on for the MOT and then take it off after.

They brag about it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
If it gets to much go to your local council and ask for the noise abatement people. They should come out and monitor the noise and report back even fine the offenders. No one will know who lodged the complaint as they are not allowed to reveal that information

Thanks. I hate to be a killjoy, I mean I was young once and I don't have a problem with speed or noisy cars but I just think there is a time and place for it. Sometimes they race around at 2am and surely must wake all the babies up.

If only we had some police.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The gits put a good silencer on for the MOT and then take it off after.

They brag about it.
I didn't know that. I wondered how they got them through.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top