Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Jupiter: Stay Up Late and Break Out the Binoculars!

If you are willing to stay up late in the northern latitudes, Jupiter is putting on a show this month.

The best viewing will be to the south with little or nothing on the horizon. There will be some turbulence from the atmosphere if you see it soon after it rises into view around 9:30, so the clearest views will be between 11:00 PM and 1:00 AM in the UK around the 10th of June, though it can be seen now through the end of the month.

Moons will be visible during the month with just the aid of 10X binoculars.

Also of interest are the changes in the Big Red Spot, and there is a good video on understanding fluid mechanics of the storm in the second link:

https://astronomynow.com/2019/05/30/...vents-in-2019/

https://astronomynow.com/2019/06/06/...reat-red-spot/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 11:02 PM

Re: Jupiter: Stay Up Late and Break Out the Binoculars!

Thank you for that info, Surfermom. If it's clear here I might get to see it, at present it's pouring with rain & very cloudy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Good stuff - for the southern hemisphere:

Jupiter is low in the east on the 10th and 11th when it is opposition (ie on the opposite side of the Earth to the Sun)

Also Mars and Mercury are in conjunction on the 18th and 19th June in the NW

(I rely on my book 2109 Australasian Sky Guide - I buy one each year)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 06:53 AM

Oh, When I say MY book, I mean that I own it not that I wrote it - It is written by Dr Nick Lomb, Sydney Observatory
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Jupiter has been shining brightly for me for the past 10 days as I traverse the Mediterranean in completely clear skies. Beautiful to behold.

As a boy I was always fascinated in space and had a telescope on the usual adjustable tripod. In the 70s Jupiter came close to Earth (relatively speaking) and even with that telescope I was able to see Jupiter and 4 of its moons bright as day. Stirring stuff.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the heads-up, Surfermom!

I will try to stay awake! Hope the skies will be clear.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2019, 03:20 PM

thanks surfermom. I'm hoping it will be clear here on the 10th, at the moment, our weather is very unpredictable.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top