Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Own up now, who remembers …

The long, long ago days of the late 1950s and early 1960s when the following was part of life in those days:

• Free milk daily at school in one-third of a pint bottles

• Free orange juice daily (in one-third of a pint bottles with green printing on the bottle?)

• Free cod liver oil capsules – taken daily

• Free malt extract – taken daily

• Getting soaked walking to school, having to sit in wet clothes until they dried

• Trams rather than buses

• When families sat round the dining room table and ate together

• We knew what day it was by the meal that was served

• Receiving an apple, orange, crayons and other small items for presents at Christmas

• Coal fires with a coal scuttle for the spare coal – no central heating in those days

• Baker’s, butcher’s, greengrocer’s shops in every town, no supermarkets

• Refrigerators – they were luxuries in those days, no freezers

• Shops closing half a day every week, often on Thursdays and didn’t open Sundays

• Returning empty cordial bottles to get the refund on them

• The horse and cart used by milkmen in those days

• The Rag & Bone man in horse and cart

• A man on a bicycle selling winkles and other seafoods

• Fish & Chips were the only takeaways

• The first burger places – Wimpy bars

• Cross country running as part of regular PE lessons
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Re: Own up now, who remembers …

Yes remember it all well.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:23 PM

I remember every one of those except trams, I don't think we had any near us.

ahhh wonderful memories, thanks Baz
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Much of it. But not all of it.
I was brought up on a farm with milk cows so milk was available by the gallon.

We didn't have trams. Like now, I had a collie then too and we ran for miles. More than cross country runners.

No rag and bone man. The nearest chippy was six miles away. As was school. There was a school bus but I cycled. Up the steep braes.

No man on a bike selling seafood.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:41 PM

Sugar sandwiches. Salad cream sandwiches. Bovril and hot water with cubes of bread in, cardboard in shoes. Wellies for weeks on end and the chapped legs that came with them.

Many times darned Sox, camphorated oil, toast being sharpened first thing in the morning, ice inside bedroom window, Phillips stick-a-soles, steel things in the soles of shoes, clogs, kids with calipers as a result of polio,

TB, kids bandy by rickets, scabies, impetigo, sharp bog paper, Lifebuoy soap (red), Sunlight soap (yellow). And of course twice brewed tea. Not tea bags, tea.

But in spite of it all we're we unhappy?

Too bloody right. It shaped my character that's for sure.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:42 PM

May I add.
The oil man with his paraffin tank and measuring jugs.
The knife grinder on his bicycle which he would prop up on a stand and pedal away turning a small grinding stone on the crossbar.
The threshing machine puffing along the roads emitting clouds of smoke and upsetting the ladies who had just put the washing on the line.
The Walls Stop me and Buy one Ice cream man on his tricycle.
Johnny Onion on his bike with strings of onions hanging around his neck.
Nah!! You are all too young to remember them.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 05:53 PM

As a matter of interest...that third pint of orange was the only thing I remember being able to buy for a farthing...

So 4 for an old penny...or 960 for a pound....incredible when you think.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Sugar sandwiches. Salad cream sandwiches. Bovril and hot water with cubes of bread in, cardboard in shoes. Wellies for weeks on end and the chapped legs that came with them.

Many times darned Sox, camphorated oil, toast being sharpened first thing in the morning, ice inside bedroom window, Phillips stick-a-soles, steel things in the soles of shoes, clogs, kids with calipers as a result of polio,

TB, kids bandy by rickets, scabies, impetigo, sharp bog paper, Lifebuoy soap (red), Sunlight soap (yellow). And of course twice brewed tea. Not tea bags, tea.

Haha, ice on inside of windows, I'd forgotten that

Haha, yeah ice on inside of windows, I'd forgotten about that
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 06:03 PM

Yea Gods I remember it well .
I had the box room over the the heated hall.
Probaby why I have a lifelong hatred of being cold .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2019, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all your replies, some I had overlooked but they soon came flooding back into 'the old grey matter' when reading about them.

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Much of it. But not all of it.
I was brought up on a farm with milk cows so milk was available by the gallon.

The nearest chippy was six miles away. As was school. There was a school bus but I cycled. Up the steep braes.
I walked across the fields to school, winter was not pleasant. We used to have fresh milk when staying with relatives on a farm. The milk itself was like the cream used to be on top of 'modern day' milk. Imagine how unhealthy that would be considered to be today.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

More of that 'unhealthy food', as it would be by today's standards. I also now remember salt sandwiches and condensed milk sandwiches!

Yes, I remember all those things in bold you mentioned and like you say all that shaped our characters in those days, that is for definite!

Originally Posted by big ben ->
The knife grinder on his bicycle which he would prop up on a stand and pedal away turning a small grinding stone on the crossbar.

The Walls Stop me and Buy one Ice cream man on his tricycle.
Johnny Onion on his bike with strings of onions hanging around his neck.
Not all quite too young big ben, I can recall those in bold that you mention!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top