Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Painkillers

There were really good ones being prescribed until a year ago but because the idiotic drug abusers were misusing them they were banned.

Distalgesic was the name, max dosage was 2 x 4 times a day but the clowns were taking 20 to 30 at a time, one ingredient was Dextropopoxaphene which is a respiratory suppressant, there were up to 30 deaths a year coz they were suffocating in their sleep, now patients who really need a good painkiller are on something else, where's the justice in that ?
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Re: Painkillers

Originally Posted by nero ->
There were really good ones being prescribed until a year ago but because the idiotic drug abusers were misusing them they were banned.

Distalgesic was the name, max dosage was 2 x 4 times a day but the clowns were taking 20 to 30 at a time, one ingredient was Dextropopoxaphene which is a respiratory suppressant, there were up to 30 deaths a year coz they were suffocating in their sleep, now patients who really need a good painkiller are on something else, where's the justice in that ?
So thats whats happened to them, been looking for those for a while....
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
So thats whats happened to them, been looking for those for a while....
The best alternative is Co-codamol so I've heard, you can get stronger ones but GP's are reluctant to prescribe them unless you're in great pain.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
The best alternative is Co-codamol so I've heard, you can get stronger ones but GP's are reluctant to prescribe them unless you're in great pain.
I have siatica, and earlier this year my back went, while I was visiting my mum, Her doc gave me Co-codamol, and boy are they strong, I was literally away with the fairys..needless to say I only took a couple...But they do get rid of the pain very quickly....
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Am going through quite a few pain-killers at the mo because of my disc problem! Co-codomal are effective, but as Moli said, they do send you away with the fairies. They also made me throw-up, so had to come off of those. Am currently on some that are called Lyrical ............ which I think is such a strange name for any type of tablet! I was given a bottle of Oro-Morph by my GP the other week, which again is very strong, and obviously if abused you can apparently become addicted to the stuff!
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 08:58 PM

My husband has Co codamol for his back and one day I came home from work with a really bad headache and as we had no other painkillers in the house I took two of those (co-codamol) well I was like I had rigamortis I couldn't lift my arms if someone had stood in front of me and held up 1000 quids I couldn't have reached out and taken it ... Very strange luckily it wore off
Moli
Aberdeenshire

05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

They are lethgal! Made me sick as well, I was supposed to take 2, 4 times a day, 1 was enough for me!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2009, 09:34 PM

I've never had to take any prescription painkillers, fortunately. Strongest I ever use are OTC Tylenol or Aleve.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 12:19 AM

I have Tramadol.. cant take Cocodamol though as they make me very sick.
Co Codamol is paracetamol and codeine / Tramadol is a synthetic opiate.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2009, 12:46 AM

On a slightly different note, does anyone think painkillers from different manufacturers make a difference? I swear that if feels like the boots paracetamol are much more effective than the tescos ones :-/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top