Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 02:43 PM

virtual office

I like many people have been getting cold calls....so i bought a new phone which blocks them...well today i had a call from a gentleman who asked about the cold calls i had been receiving...and said that for £1.59 per month he could get them stopped...even calls from Indian call centres....I told him ..no thanks..that i had a phone now that did just that...the number he called from wasn't with held...so i googled it to see who had been calling ....and it was from a ...virtual office....i wonder if that was a scam.....to get people to part with more money...
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Re: virtual office

Originally Posted by lavander ->
I like many people have been getting cold calls....so i bought a new phone which blocks them...well today i had a call from a gentleman who asked about the cold calls i had been receiving...and said that for £1.59 per month he could get them stopped...even calls from Indian call centres....I told him ..no thanks..that i had a phone now that did just that...the number he called from wasn't with held...so i googled it to see who had been calling ....and it was from a ...virtual office....i wonder if that was a scam.....to get people to part with more money...
To be honest I would have noted his number and blocked it straight after, as you have done probably. It is just another scam probably, or if it isn't just the fact that he is yet another person bothering you at your home number is bad news. Detestful people.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 03:11 PM

yes ..i did block it ..he sounded so genuine...but they're up to all the dodges...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:10 PM

I didnt know you could Google numbers! Useful for something then!
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Yes you can google numbers, I do that sometimes, it can come in handy.

I seem to recall such a phone call as yours lavander, but it was some time ago, they didn't get anywhere with that.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2013, 06:22 PM

Probably after bank details!
lavander
s. scotland

23-08-2013, 09:31 PM

the thing is...i reported certain numbers on line that were cold calling...and they were supposed to find out who it was...so when he phoned and said it was about cold calls....i thought that was what it was about....but it's easy for someone to do that...taking a chance...because almost everyone gets cold calls...
lavander
s. scotland

23-08-2013, 09:32 PM

certainly wont get any bank details from me....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2013, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
I like many people have been getting cold calls....so i bought a new phone which blocks them...well today i had a call from a gentleman who asked about the cold calls i had been receiving...and said that for £1.59 per month he could get them stopped...even calls from Indian call centres...
I registered with the government's 'Do Not Call' Register when it first started and virtually all unsolicited calls ceased almost immediately. My only complaint is that every few years you have to re-register your numbers.

The only cold calls I receive these days are from charities and 'Micro$oft technicians' (who I may or may not toy with depending on my mood). The former are rare and usually charities I have donated to in the past, I ask to be taken of their call list and they never call again.

How does this special phone work? I have never heard of such a thing.
lavander
s. scotland

24-08-2013, 11:58 AM

it's a bt 6500 twin digital...cost £69....but you can buy single for about £34......it has a caller display...and an answer phone and you can block any numbers you don't want by adding them to the block call list...along with with held and unavailable numbers...like calls from Indian call centres.....if you get a cold call that actually leaves a number...you just add it to the list....i've had the phone for 3 weeks and have had no cold calls....used to get them every day.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top