Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Re: The Not So Humble Spud

I do like sprout mash... or something called hot lightning..

Ingredients for 4 people

1½ kg potatoes
1½ kg sour apples
500 gr minced beef
300 gr onion
250 gr sugar
Oil or butter
1 tl cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutmeg if desired
Method

Put a pan with 1,5 ltr water on a medium heat
Peel the potatoes and cut them into blocks
Be sure that the potatoes are just covered by the water. They should take about 10-15 minutes to cook
In the meantime peel and core the apples cut them into blocks and put them in a large pan with about 5cm of water they don’t need to be covered. Make sure the pan is large enough to add the other ingredients to later. Let the apples cook making sure they don’t burn until they are reduced to a thick applesauce.
Chop the onion and gently fry this until its clear and glassy in a little oil or butter. Add the miced beef and let it brown in the pan

Mash the now cooked potatoes and add them to the apple sauce stir in the cooked minced beef and onion and then add the sugar , do this little by little the amount mentioned above is an indication only and really depends on two things A/ your own taste and B/ how sour your apples are.

The hot lightning should be soft and creamy in texture . Add the cinnamon and netmeg if desired plus the salt and pepper to taste give the whole mix a good stir and its ready to serve.
Take care, because its not called hot lightning for nothing, the dish holds its heat and a burnt mouth can make you want to swear!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
It is just something that I throw together, I slice the potatoes and onions and then layer them in a dish, one row potato one row onion finishing with a row of potato, put spices of your choice inbetween the layers, I use pepper and Italian seasoning (or sometimes other seasoning if I pick up the wrong jar) and pour over 1/4 pint of stock, put in the over until cooked and the stock has nearly gone.

It is a simple dish to have with sausages.
I like trying out something new so thanks for the recipe Shirley.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I do like sprout mash... or something called hot lightning..

Ingredients for 4 people

1½ kg potatoes
1½ kg sour apples
500 gr minced beef
300 gr onion
250 gr sugar
Oil or butter
1 tl cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutmeg if desired
Method

Be sure that the potatoes are just covered by the water. They should take about 10-15 minutes to cook
In the meantime peel and core the apples cut them into blocks and put them in a large pan with about 5cm of water they don’t need to be covered. Make sure the pan is large enough to add the other ingredients to later. Let the apples cook making sure they don’t burn until they are reduced to a thick applesauce.
Chop the onion and gently fry this until its clear and glassy in a little oil or butter. Add the miced beef and let it brown in the pan

Mash the now cooked potatoes and add them to the apple sauce stir in the cooked minced beef and onion and then add the sugar , do this little by little the amount mentioned above is an indication only and really depends on two things A/ your own taste and B/ how sour your apples are.

The hot lightning should be soft and creamy in texture . Add the cinnamon and netmeg if desired plus the salt and pepper to taste give the whole mix a good stir and its ready to serve.
Take care, because its not called hot lightning for nothing, the dish holds its heat and a burnt mouth can make you want to swear!
Ye gods Cass I bet that dish puts hairs on your chest and warms you up on a cold night. Never heard of it but will give it a try
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 11:47 AM

That does sound interesting Cass will have to give it a try, but might cut back on the spices a bit.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 12:14 PM

... or something called hot lightning..

Ingredients for 4 people

1½ kg potatoes
1½ kg sour apples
500 gr minced beef
300 gr onion
250 gr sugar
Oil or butter
1 tl cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutmeg if desired
Method

I have not heard of that one before - but it sounds delicious! Will certainly give it a try.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 12:16 PM

I do like sprout mash...

Oh No! Not the dreaded 'S' word! Spawn of the Devil.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
The dish you are making definitely depends on the type of spud you use as some will go down to watery mush.

One of my warming winter dishes that I enjoy is Corn beef Hash. Inexpensive as you can make it to size to suit you and very tasty.

Oh my goodness, I haven't had corned beef hash in YEARS. Going to have to make that soon. Problem is corned beef is ridiculously expensive.

My mom used to make us the canned corned beef hash. She would fry it up in a pan and it was so good. But homemade is definitely better.
solo
UK

07-10-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Oh my goodness, I haven't had corned beef hash in YEARS. Going to have to make that soon. Problem is corned beef is ridiculously expensive.

My mom used to make us the canned corned beef hash. She would fry it up in a pan and it was so good. But homemade is definitely better.

Our corned beef does mainly come in a tin Linda. It still makes a very good hash though and has been many a families favourite over the years. Have to say I do like home cooked corned beef and cabbage with carrots and gravy Hmmmmmm
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Our corned beef does mainly come in a tin Linda. It still makes a very good hash though and has been many a families favourite over the years. Have to say I do like home cooked corned beef and cabbage with carrots and gravy Hmmmmmm
Yes, it is good hash. I'll have to buy some soon.

And corned beef and cabbage (with potatoes and carrots) is a favorite meal of mine. We call it New England Boiled Dinner. Just throw everything into a pot (I use my Dutch oven) add water and spices and let it simmer for 2-3 hours. Delicious.
solo
UK

07-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Yes, it is good hash. I'll have to buy some soon.

And corned beef and cabbage (with potatoes and carrots) is a favorite meal of mine. We call it New England Boiled Dinner. Just throw everything into a pot (I use my Dutch oven) add water and spices and let it simmer for 2-3 hours. Delicious.

Odd how we forget then return to these old comfort foods.

Baked potatoes were often a make do and mend dish and yet they are now fashionably sold frozen in boxes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top