Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Re: C.o.p.d

I do appreciate how hard giving up smoking is but when you read such stories from Maryl and Plantman it should give you a bit of a shove.

Doctor. I have to say that the people here really mean you well, they care for your just as if you had been their best friend for eons. I cannot tell you how they have helped me over the months some of them my darkest so try and stop smoking and use this forum to give you support.

By the way those puppies are bloomin gorgeous.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 02:00 PM

Members with COPD, how were you diagnosed with the condition?
What symptoms did you have to begin with?

I have never been told but I am sure I have early stage COPD. Childhood illness and a number of years as a smoker living with smokers seems to have taken its toll on my lungs.

I gave up smoking years ago having developed a smokers cough. I always have 'a bit of a cough' which frequently changes to become a bad chest infection. Last winter I had continuous infections from November to April and lost my voice completely for 3 months. If I knew then this could be the result of smoking I would never have smoked. I was encouraged to do so in the first place by my friend who was a nurse.

I had a chest x ray last year and a spirometry test but they didn't seem to reveal much. It was summer then and I was free of infection.
However the symptoms I have, swollen ankles, occasional breathlessness/wheezing and the constant chest infections indicate to me there is a problem.

I try to help myself with daily exercise in the form of three good walks where I do breathing exercises while I walk, gardening and housework are a form of exercise too. I eat a good healthy diet with lots of fruit/veg and fish and I avoid smoky atmospheres . I also paid to have a flu vaccination to avoid getting flu on top of an infection.

As no one has mentioned the subject I am going to go and talk to the Dr at some stage about this and also to request a pneumococcal vaccination.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 02:36 PM

Firstly ... Meg .. I'd really like to thank you for starting this thread.
It's an interesting subject.
Especially the part about what were the first symptoms.

I'm a smoker. And no, I can't ever seem to manage to stop so it'll be my own fault if I develop any respiratory problems and it does worry me.

Do I have any problems now? No, don't think so ... but I have to admit over the last few winters I feel 'clotted and snotted', so to speak.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 04:46 PM

I'm a lifelong smoker, reluctantly quit in January when breathing became difficult. I had increasing fatigue and swollen ankles, finally went to the ER in March, was diagnosed and admitted. I also had anemia, part of the fatigue problem. Anyhow, was on oxygen 24/7 for a bit, then nights only, and am off it now. I use Spiriva, a bronchodialator, daily; am on a diuretic for swollen ankles. I still have very little energy and tire easily.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 05:20 PM

An ex-smoker here too. Chest infections more often and took longer to recover. Tiredness and 'productive' coughing inbetween. Eventually diagnosed almost three years ago, gave up the ciggies a few months later and now on Spiriva and Seretide inhalers. These inhalers keep everything open and clean. I have a rescue inhaler but have not used it in two years.
I left mine too long. I had a busy life, stressful and my heart was suffering through lack of oxygen (COPD) and with blocked arteries (smoking). I developed angina. A year ago all heart meds were stopped and no problems since. Like Eileen I am aneamic but only slightly, have very low blood presssure. Meg, you will be given an FEV/FVC1 percentage of your lung function, mine is 53%, was 45% when diagnosed. The nurse at your GP may give you a quick spirometry, also ask for the full lung funtion test at the hospital (takes about three quarters of an hour), ask to be referred to the chest clinic at your hospital. To be honest I think there are a lot of people with COPD undiagnosed. Your diet, walks and lifestyle are a brilliant way to go. Almost forgot, the heart doctor I had did look at my ankles but they were OK.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 05:51 PM

My anemia was caused by bleeding from a colon tumor; it was removed successfully (Stage 1, hadn't metastasized). My CAT scan showed my arteries were OK.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Oh I see, sorry, I knew about your op but not that it was causing the anemia. What a good job though that they looked for the reason for anemia and found it. Glad your arteries are clear too Eileen, mine are now and what a difference it makes. All caused by the poisons in those ciggies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 12:39 AM

Thank you for the input everyone, very informative .

I'm a smoker. And no, I can't ever seem to manage to stop so it'll be my own fault if I develop any respiratory problems and it does worry me.
Morticia giving up isn't easy and I am sure you have been told you have to really want to do it.

As well as having developed a smokers cough I really couldn't afford to smoke anyway wasting what little money I had . The thing which worked for me was having an incentive, a goal to work towards.
I kept a little jar with a pencil and note pad on the windowsill where it could be seen and each time I wanted a cigarette I added a '5p' to the note (about the cost of a cig at that time) having promised my son when I had saved enough we would go for a meal.
It worked , I couldn't default on my promise and the money quickly mounted up until we had enough for the meal by which time I was just about cured except for the odd twinge of desire. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes.

I am so glad I gave up when I did. For a large part of my life I have lived with smokers as well as being one myself and I am now paying the price with ill health.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Meg darlin' - me too. I HAD TO give up smoking some years ago following yet another admission to hospital (had a pulmonary embolism and the scarring seriously damaged my left lung to the extent it hardly works anymore). I am also a late developing Asthmatic and suffer COPD too - good 'ere innit???

Like you I had a period where I felt my nose and sinuses were permanently blocked. Have managed to 'deal with that' - for months on end, I wiped around my nose and upper lip with Vick vapour rub. If I get a cold, I also use hot drinks of Honey and Lemon to help clear the catarrh from my nose, throat and lungs.

None of these methods are themselves a 'quick fix' - you need to persist with them for weeks at a time, but eventually you will notice a difference.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2011, 01:01 AM

my brother has it he was taken into hosptallast week minnie stroke he was
told to give smoking also

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top