Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:36 PM

What risks are we willing to take?

I got my call up for my mammogram about a month ago and the appointment was today.

Its not a fun thing to do but not as bad as some would have you think..

I considered the risks after all a nurse has to touch and be stood very close in order to get those photos , but I decided to go along and see what the set up was before re-scheduling.

They had the unit covid proofed ( well as much as they can) everyone had to queue outside. We were called forward one by one and from the door I was asked the usual covid symptom list , only after I said no to all of them was I allowed up into the bus alone , told to sanitise my hands and don a surgical mask they provided.. My own (or anyone elses) wasnt good enough apperently..

Then from behind her screen the receptionist read my forms to make sure they were filled in properly checked my ID and I could enter the changing room . Called into the exam room was like entering the space shuttle, full gowns masks and face shields everything disinfected after each lady.

This is the closest Ive been to a human being who is not part of my family for over a year and it felt very strange. I will admit as she first waked toward me I instictivley stepped back. Luckily she saw the funny side of it.

The four photos are done now I just have to wait for the result.

If we have to take risks then I want mine to be weighed up and balanced, covid versus cancer.. That was a risk Im willing to take but for silly pleasures no way Im getting close to anyone any time soon.
wildswan
New Member!
Scotland
wildswan is female 

16-02-2021, 02:43 PM

Re: What risks are we willing to take?

Glad it all went well for you.

I think we need to remember that the staff are just as keen to not catch Covid from us, as we are not to catch it from them or their environment. I have been for a few medical appointments recently and have never felt anything but reassured and safe.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:44 PM

I cancelled my appointment last month with them. I wasn't happy about it at all and wanted to wait untill I'd been vaccinated first.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:48 PM

I got a call a few months ago, but I was too nervous to attend. I'm embarrassed to admit that, despite all good intentions of ringing the number provided, I didn't in the end get round to it, so I will have to contact them at some point when things get a little easier, safer, and eat humble pie.
Thanks for telling us of your experience Cass - certainly makes me feel better about going now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:50 PM

I would have a Mammograms and I have had an Echocardiogram (like ultrasound) , a blood test and cardiology clinic appointment during covid restriction and felt all were safe and well organised with masks/sanitisation/distancing .

I refused an opticians and a dentists appointment feeling it was not safe going into a small space and having someone directly in front of my face for a period of time.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 02:55 PM

Hi

Covid Positive, been in Resus, twice and yes I would attend an important medical appointment.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 03:04 PM

I am now too old for mammograms. I never liked having them anyway, cold machine, all corners & the glass plate pinched leaving a red mark on my boobs, you could tell a man invented those machines, I hope they have improved now.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 03:06 PM

My mammogram appointment is scheduled for next week. I feel safe in going, knowing all policies for sanitary conditions and Covid precautions will be taken. This is an important and necessary medical need. I won't put it off.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am now too old for mammograms. I never liked having them anyway, cold machine, all corners & the glass plate pinched leaving a red mark on my boobs, you could tell a man invented those machines, I hope they have improved now.
Hi

I am available to give gentle breast examinations to ladies of any age and I always warm my hands first.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2021, 04:25 PM

I'm too old too, but if I wasn't, and still getting an appointment to go for one , I'd take it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top