Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Re: Is listening to the word equivalent to reading the word?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Well, you can't say fairer that that can you? Unless you say:

First off, nothing. No light, no time, no substance, no matter. Second off, God starts it all up and WHAP! Stuff everywhere! The cosmos in chaos: no shape, no form, no function—just darkness ... total. And floating above it all, God’s Holy Spirit, ready to play. Day one: Then God’s voice booms out, ‘Lights!’ and, from nowhere, light floods the skies and ‘night’ is swept off the scene.

(Rob Lacey)
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Definitely a book for me also.
Nothing better than curling up on the couch with a blankie and a book, and turning each page to see what comes next.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 09:20 AM

I believe there is room for both - with the proviso that the audio book is unabridged and read by somebody competent.

Nothing nicer than to curl up on the sofa with a glass of wine, a friendly cat and a good book !

But - I spend a lot of time in my craft room - making cards - and like nothing better than listening to a good book while so doing. One of my current favourites being "Return of the Native" by Thomas Hardy - ready by Alan Rickman. The joy of Hardy's language and Alan Rickmans beautiful voice!

Have also enjoyed all the "Harry Potter" books read by Stephen Fry - he has the ability to change his voice for each character and make them come to life. I believe JKRowling chose him herself - but that could be an 'urban myth'.

Who does the reading can make or spoil a book though - I love Michael Connelly's books and have several - both actual and audio. Most of my audio versions are read by an american actor named Michael Brandon and are brilliant - but - one is read by Len Cariou who has an obvious speech impediment. Not so noticeable when you seen him in a film but when reading - dreadful. He snuffles - and it spoils things.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Definitely a book for me also.
Nothing better than curling up on the couch with a blankie and a book, and turning each page to see what comes next.
Hi LMB - what's a blankie ?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

There was a time when audio books were a lifesaver to me. I used to have really bad insomnia and the mind can wander in all directions at 3 in the morning. Listening to audio books in the dark gave me something to concentrate on and often would send me back to sleep.

None of the voices got on my nerves - they were all very professional.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

Oh, I'm sorry ST!
A blankie's a blanket!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 09:50 AM

Depends who the narrator is, some kindle books come with a narrator but it sounds like an electronic robot - completely spoils the stories, Penelope Keith is about perfect as Agatha raisin though.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 10:12 AM

I must admit there are documentaries like that.. The nasal voice overs can ruin things but then there are the gems ..

I love Patrick Stewart he could describe paint drying and make it sound sexy..
KnickerFarage
London
KnickerFarage is female  KnickerFarage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Well, you can't say fairer that that can you? Unless you say:

First off, nothing. No light, no time, no substance, no matter. Second off, God starts it all up and WHAP! Stuff everywhere! The cosmos in chaos: no shape, no form, no function—just darkness ... total. And floating above it all, God’s Holy Spirit, ready to play. Day one: Then God’s voice booms out, ‘Lights!’ and, from nowhere, light floods the skies and ‘night’ is swept off the scene.

(Rob Lacey)

that made me laff a lot
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Depends who the narrator is, some kindle books come with a narrator but it sounds like an electronic robot - completely spoils the stories, Penelope Keith is about perfect as Agatha raisin though.
True Julie, I have all the Agatha Raisin audio books and Penelope Keith is perfect for reading them.

As a great fan of the audio book Ruthio, I have to say that once you have an experienced professional reader doing the job audio books are a joy to listen to, the reader is very important as far as I’m concerned because they can do so many different voices and accents, it’s almost like listening to a whole cast of actors, a very fine example of this is Hugh Fraser (Captain Hastings in the Poirot TV series) he is a genius at reading all Agatha Christies works. Another bonus for me is it saves the old eyesight and you don’t need light to listen in bed. The fact that I listened to a lot of radio plays when I was younger sort of conditioned me to avoid distractions, and I can still work at the bench, put the book on a speaker and listen at the same time, ideal for me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top