Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 06:08 AM

An interesting view on 'lockdown' from another generation …

All different age groups took the lockdown in different ways, according to their usual way of life.
The generation on the link below, the so-called 'Generation Z' and this person in particular, gives an 'interesting' take on his experience of just four weeks of seeing nobody. I know that for many of us here on OFF it was far, far longer than that, three times longer in my own case:

https://news.sky.com/story/i-felt-de...kdown-12010556

Any comments on this anyone?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 07:50 AM

Re: An interesting view on 'lockdown' from another generation …

I know lockdown has been difficult for many people especially those living alone.

Sorry but as far as this chap is concerned I'm struggling to understand, he has been in lockdown for 4 weeks two of which he enjoyed and treated as a holiday then the last two he has been on social media chatting to pals and playing interactive games decorated a room in his house and tackled an art project.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic but when has he had chance to feel down? its just two weeks for goodness sake.... Snowflake springs to mind,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 08:09 AM

What ever happened to back bone ?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 09:52 AM

Surely youngsters must imagine what a "Lockdown" would have meant pre the digital world and on demand television, a kid would have been Glum back then.
PS, the Council did not offer Counselling.
Fairfax
New Member!
Tyne and Wear
Fairfax is male 

21-06-2020, 11:19 AM

Unwilling as I am to see anything positive in the pandemic, I dread to think how much worse things would have been had it struck when I was 23, back in the 1980s.

Personally I have found lockdown to be no fun at all, but IT kit and broadband has meant I can work from home, technology keeps me in touch with friends and family and on-line shopping and home deliveries mean I can buy whatever I want (including a few things that I actually need!). I can eat, drink and download as many new books as I like on my kindle. I hate this bloody virus, but it’s timing has been kind.

More generally, I don’t doubt for a moment that younger members of society can be struggling too. The 23 year old me, transported to 2020, would have been prowling like a caged tiger for months now.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 11:51 AM

Prolly 'cos it's the first time in their pathetic "entitled" lives they are being told that they must do as they are told and not what they want.

ALL LIVES MATTER!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
All different age groups took the lockdown in different ways, according to their usual way of life.
The generation on the link below, the so-called 'Generation Z' and this person in particular, gives an 'interesting' take on his experience of just four weeks of seeing nobody. I know that for many of us here on OFF it was far, far longer than that, three times longer in my own case:

https://news.sky.com/story/i-felt-de...kdown-12010556

Any comments on this anyone?
Boo Hoo...
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 04:59 PM

I don't think I'd have taken too well to lockdown in my 20's or 30's.

When has a government ever stepped in and told people you can't do this, or you can't do that ... and different people take it easier than others.
It's just simply 'the telling' that makes it hard.
I suspect he was less 'depressed and missing his friends' than feeling a little rudderless, had had control of his own routine swiped out of his grasp.

I did wonder how all those young un's who usually end up legless and lying in their own vomit in the city centres on a Saturday night would cope with the confinement (albeit the streets smelt sweeter and suffered less human litter).
I suppose it helped alleviate the stress for some when the BLM marches came along.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2020, 09:22 PM

That’s what’s wrong with some old people, they never give a thought for the younger folks, they forget that they were young once and how easily you get bored at that age, you're young and fit but there is nowhere to go, try to imaging yourself being in your early 20’s during this pandemic, I’m 74 now and I’ve never had to experience anything as bad as this deadly dose, I’m just glad it didn’t happen to me when I was a young man, I’d have went nuts.
Young folks are full of energy and they need real live company of the same age to let off steam just like most of us did when we were young, but then there are some here who were never young.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 01:00 AM

Most of these "young and fit" folks could enlist in the military for a couple of years. Sound bizarre in this day and age? It wasn't, back in WWII and for a few years after that.

It was almost a "right of passage" from your teens to young adulthood. Many of us didn't look forward to it and didn't necessarily enjoy it, but during the peacetime years, most survived and learned from the experience.

I'm sure that most would choose "suffering" through a few weeks of isolation if my suggestion was the other alternative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top