Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 11:55 AM

Roberts Rambles 12

Friday has come around again and another selection of Trig Points to seek out. I decided to visit one that I passed by before, the road was very busy and my map of the area was a little bit vague. Armed with a better map and a full belly I decided to drop it in, it was on my way anyway . After doing the usual cruise by I found a good place to park and began the search. It wasn't too long before I found the overgrown hedgerow where it should be residing. One side was an impenetrable field of oil seed, and on the other side a flowing field of corn. I kept to the small gully at the side of the field to avoid trampling the crop and scanned the tall hawthorn bushes and brambles for clues. About half way down the field I spotted just a couple of foot sticking out above the foliage.
It's probably not the best time to be trig hunting because most of these in the lowlands have been smothered by the fast growing vegetation. After being stung several times I managed to get a clear shot and record the number...
Barnsdale Trig...

Back to the car and on to number two. There was no mistaking this one because it was by the side of a massive water tower that could even be seen from my house on a clear day. This one was in a garden and had been lovingly restored by the homeowner. He found it half buried in the garden of his new build house and decided to restore it. A very friendly bloke, with a massive dog! Who allowed me into his garden, and he also took the photo (the bloke, not the dog ). We must have spent over half an hour chatting, and found we had many things in common. Apparently he had welcomed several visitors before me over the years, and enjoyed the company.
Upton Trig...

The next two in Ackworth were very familiar to me because I delivered the post there every day for several years, so I had no difficulty finding Hundhill Trig...Massively overgrown with nettles and brambles, and quite unloved I thought....

A small row of shops containing 'Butterflies Cafe' provided me with lunch. It used to be a flower shop when I was taking the post, but their Ham Salad Bap and Yorkshire Tea was perfection, and more filling than a bunch of Dahlias...
Onward to Bracken Hill, another location from my Royal Mail days. I remember driving down this bumpy old lane to a farm, but like the relentless flow of lava from a volcano, new houses seem to have spread halfway down this once attractive country lane, with work progressing the spread even further down the lane. I fear the next trig will soon be lost forever, and the farm (although still there) will become just another house in a row of houses on another street.....
Today though, the trig is safe and could clearly be seen at the other side of a field of Beet and still out of reach of the houses....I picked my way around the edge of the field on the molehill and nettle filled path to find Bracken Hill Trig....

A decent drive all the way to the outskirts of Wakefield for this last one at Sharlston.
I wandered aimlessly for perhaps an hour or so on several footpaths before I found this one....Just five hundred yards from the car...In all fairness though, it was at the other side of a farmyard which had no footpath sign telling me I could have walked through the farmyard....
Sharlston Trig....

So a brilliant day trig hunting, where I have been Stung, Bitten, pricked and licked, but with another five trigs (the most I've done in one day) added to the tally of 12......

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Barnsdale.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	15893   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Upton.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	15894   Click image for larger version

Name:	03 Hundhill.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	15895   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Bracken Hill.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	15896   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Sharlston.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	15897  

May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 12:21 PM

Re: Roberts Rambles 12

If You ever make it to the highest trig pillar on top of Ben Nevis,give Us a wave Rab
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
If You ever make it to the highest trig pillar on top of Ben Nevis,give Us a wave Rab
Thanks May, it's on my list....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 01:02 PM

This is lovely - especially the story about the guy restoring the Trig..he made a good job of it. Wish they were all as pretty as that!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 01:33 PM

How interesting Bob, you must feel quite excited when you locate each of the ‘next’ ones and take that photo of proof.

How many more to find?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Onward to Bracken Hill, another location from my Royal Mail days.
I deliver to the Strata site at Bracken Hill, Foxy. One of these days, you and I are going to find ourselves in the same place at the same time.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I have been Stung, Bitten, pricked and licked
And all for free, Foxy. I hear some people pay a lot for that kind of stuff.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-06-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
This is lovely - especially the story about the guy restoring the Trig..he made a good job of it. Wish they were all as pretty as that!
Yes, he made a superb job of that trig Pixie, I understand he is going to do some further restoration on the pillar. He could have just broke it up and the history would have been gone forever. Such a nice and interesting bloke to talk to as well...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
How interesting Bob, you must feel quite excited when you locate each of the ‘next’ ones and take that photo of proof.

How many more to find?
Thanks Mags, I think there are over six thousand, but some are in places I might not be able to travel to, and some have been destroyed. I consider it 'Work in Progress' at the moment Mags and love learning about the history, not keen on the nettles though. My legs are still stinging a bit today...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-06-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I deliver to the Strata site at Bracken Hill, Foxy. One of these days, you and I are going to find ourselves in the same place at the same time.
There were just a few new houses and a showhome at Poplar farm when I delivered the post there Harbal. I couldn't believe how much the place had changed. I bet they've stuck those houses on to the round of the present postie, and it was quite big when I did it.

I look forward to meeting you Harbal, I'll keep you posted on my future lists of Trig point searches, perhaps we could meet at one of the sandwich shops round there....I'll treat you to a ham one....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top