Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 09:49 PM

Dog clippers

I need some dog clippers .
As my dog Mungo is a collie they are not usually clipped ( except in Australia ) but Mungo has very bushy ‘ petticoats ‘ - the long hair on the back legs and a double coat . This forms matts underneath which I cut out best I can with blunt scissors .
He does get brushed but cannot tolerate the coat rake or pin brush on his petticoats .but it’s difficult and I am anxious not to accidentally nick him . So I intend to clip them underneath ( it won’t be seen )
Anyhow I went on Amazon and there are so many of all prices .
Anyone got any recommendations ? I want cordless .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:00 PM

Re: Dog clippers

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I need some dog clippers .
As my dog Mungo is a collie they are not usually clipped ( except in Australia ) but Mungo has very bushy ‘ petticoats ‘ - the long hair on the back legs and a double coat . This forms matts underneath which I cut out best I can with blunt scissors .
He does get brushed but cannot tolerate the coat rake or pin brush on his petticoats .but it’s difficult and I am anxious not to accidentally nick him . So I intend to clip them underneath ( it won’t be seen )
Anyhow I went on Amazon and there are so many of all prices .
Anyone got any recommendations ? I want cordless .
Well, we just got Max groomed yesterday. I no that that doesn't help you but, at 35kg, getting in and out of the shower was a bit of a challenge.

Just of interest, the groomer says that he doesn't have a double coat. And he is a Collie.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 06:48 AM

I did think of getting him groomed but hes sensitive and the matts will return .
When I brush him I get enough hair out to knit a jumper.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Muddy, first of all may I suggest you go to a different seller than Amazon, and I will tell you why.

Daft as it sounds, different clippers and blades do different jobs, and also, different hair types. At Amazon, you can't really speak to the seller and get advice first, you just cough up and they send it.

I am no expert by a long chalk, as I only have the Beddies woolly coats to do, but I bought my first clippers direct from Wahl, (they do reconditioned ones too), and had a chat with them for advice first.

https://www.wahl.co.uk/product-category/home-grooming/

I believe Petcetera and also Christies are also very helpful.

https://www.petcetera.co.uk/dog/dog-...cessories.html

https://www.christiesdirect.com/en/D...pers/c-97.aspx

As you say, there are cordless and corded, I have a Wahl rechargable cordless at the mo.
Some makes are a lot quieter than others, too. You don't want something that sounds like a lawn mower if he is sensitive!
My grooming friend says Andis are a good make.

Lastly, find out what blades you need for his type of coat too.

Good luck, sorry I can't suggest any more, but perhaps Meg could as she knows more than me about clipping.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:51 PM

Try a pair of thinning scissors before resorting to clippers Muddy. I have/had dogs with "trousers" which can get matted. Thinning scissors work well for me. Brush out as well and the hair should be fine. Also simply trimming with scissors works well after you have thinned the hair out. It's a shame to use clippers on this area as often it ruins the look when all you need to do is make it manageable. Anti tangle sprays/creams can help a lot as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor;2119099[B
]Try a pair of thinning scissors before resorting to clippers Muddy. I have/had dogs with "trousers" which can get matted. Thinning scissors work well for me. [/B] Brush out as well and the hair should be fine. Also simply trimming with scissors works well after you have thinned the hair out. It's a shame to use clippers on this area as often it ruins the look when all you need to do is make it manageable. Anti tangle sprays/creams can help a lot as well.

Yes, good advice Aerolor.
I have no experience with 'trousers' getting matted, but it makes sense what you've said.
Clipping does sound a bit drastic in Mungo's case, perhaps.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 01:00 PM

Because my poodle hated going to the groomers, l bought some Aesculap Favorita ll clippers with two blades suitable for Poodle coats. They were expensive but very good.
If l hadn't bought those, l would have bought an Andis clipper which are very good too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Because my poodle hated going to the groomers, l bought some Aesculap Favorita ll clippers with two blades suitable for Poodle coats. They were expensive but very good.
If l hadn't bought those, l would have bought an Andis clipper which are very good too.
I have the Andis clippers for my cockapoo. They have separate combs which govern the length of the cut. My golden retriever always gets a trim with scissors and the thinners. I have tried all sorts of grooming gear over the years - drawers full of the stuff. I think I could set up a shop.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Try a pair of thinning scissors before resorting to clippers Muddy. I have/had dogs with "trousers" which can get matted. Thinning scissors work well for me. Brush out as well and the hair should be fine. Also simply trimming with scissors works well after you have thinned the hair out. It's a shame to use clippers on this area as often it ruins the look when all you need to do is make it manageable. Anti tangle sprays/creams can help a lot as well.
I agree Aerolor preferably those with only one serrated edge , I could not bring myself to clip a collie.
Curved scissors are also good for removing knots.

It makes me sad to clip a Schnauzer now that arthritis in my hands makes trimming any other way difficult.

Oster Aesculap and Andis are all good clippers but pricy.

I groom Chloe every day without fail, her soft leg and tummy furnishings knot very quickly so we never get knots .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

10-07-2021, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, first of all may I suggest you go to a different seller than Amazon, and I will tell you why.

Daft as it sounds, different clippers and blades do different jobs, and also, different hair types. At Amazon, you can't really speak to the seller and get advice first, you just cough up and they send it.

I am no expert by a long chalk, as I only have the Beddies woolly coats to do, but I bought my first clippers direct from Wahl, (they do reconditioned ones too), and had a chat with them for advice first.

https://www.wahl.co.uk/product-category/home-grooming/

I believe Petcetera and also Christies are also very helpful.

https://www.petcetera.co.uk/dog/dog-...cessories.html

https://www.christiesdirect.com/en/D...pers/c-97.aspx

As you say, there are cordless and corded, I have a Wahl rechargable cordless at the mo.
Some makes are a lot quieter than others, too. You don't want something that sounds like a lawn mower if he is sensitive!
My grooming friend says Andis are a good make.

Lastly, find out what blades you need for his type of coat too.

Good luck, sorry I can't suggest any more, but perhaps Meg could as she knows more than me about clipping.
Thanks Mups I will mull over these .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top