Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Our "BEST" outfits. Are we Bovvered.........

Does anyone keep an outfit "FOR BEST" anymore.

It must be my age, but until a few years back I always kept back a best outfit. Nowadays I wear my "best" all the time, it all wears out eventually & I get more use of them.

Going back further to the 1950swe had a "BEST ROOM" , the front downstairs room or parlour. WE crowded into the back room while this showpiece room stayed empty & presentable.

Does this bring back any memories?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:59 AM

Re: Our "BEST" outfits. Are we Bovvered.........

I still have a best outfit and coat, best tea set etc no best room though as we don't have any spare rooms might do it if we did, or might call it the snoring room and put my husband in it LOL
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 12:20 PM

In the 50's - on a Sunday, I wore my Sunday best.... Loverly.. Altho' not too keen on the 'ringlets'
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 12:33 PM

I keep making the effort to wear "best" clothes but I don't feel at all comfortable, must be a guilt thing I can't count the number of hardly worn clothes that have gone to charity because my wardrobe was too full
The clothes that I wear around the house are nothing short of rags and if there is a knock on the door I make a hasty retreat for the stairs and let my husband answer. I only come out of hiding when they are gone or if it is some one who gains admitance I will change and come down looking my best
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 12:33 PM

I got a new outfit when I was wee for Sundays but I don't have a "best" one now - I do have a coat that I won't wear unless going out as it is black and I would get too many of Loki's hairs on it if I did when out with her

Got the outfits always for the First Sunday in May!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 01:27 PM

I was buying my clothes a few years back, thinking thats too nice to wear yet, I'll save for something special. Well I give up on that idea, so pleased I'm wearing the goodies....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Does anyone keep an outfit "FOR BEST" anymore.

It must be my age, but until a few years back I always kept back a best outfit. Nowadays I wear my "best" all the time, it all wears out eventually & I get more use of them.

Going back further to the 1950swe had a "BEST ROOM" , the front downstairs room or parlour. WE crowded into the back room while this showpiece room stayed empty & presentable.

Does this bring back any memories?
Yes Rob, our front room was rarely used, only when we had a party ! Such a shame really looking back.. Hubby says the same for him....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Both my grandmothers had best rooms and enter at your peril My parents didn't have a best room, we used every one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 02:51 PM

My parents always had a best room, it was only used for special visitors and Christmas Day There's no best room in my house, they all get used.

Before I left home I also had a Sunday best outfit ..... a turquoise taffeta dress worn with a white cardigan. I'm sure people always knew what day it was when they saw me!

Nowadays I have everyday comfortable clothes and tidy clothes

I do remember I was always bought a new frock and pair of sandals for Easter every year ....... those were the days when we used to have lovely sunny Easters though
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2013, 02:53 PM

I remember every Easter being sunny too - do you think it was just our optimism and joy - or were summers 'more' reliable back then....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top