Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Re: Our "BEST" outfits. Are we Bovvered.........

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
I remember every Easter being sunny too - do you think it was just our optimism and joy - or were summers 'more' reliable back then....
I'm sure the weather was so much better then as our trips to the seaside used to start at Easter...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 03:02 PM

Well I would go to Margate every April ready for Easter and the rest of the summer months, I only recall one rainy day and the sun still shone thru it !
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Well I would go to Margate every April ready for Easter and the rest of the summer months, I only recall one rainy day and the sun still shone thru it !
Those were the day!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Hmmmm - selective memories Pat darlin'. I can remember snow in June (it didn't lay as the ground was too warm) in 1957. In Autumn 1960, we had so much rain it poured out of the South Downs, flooded houses and shops from Lewes to Brighton and wreaked havoc for weeks on end.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Could be UJ.... I got there in 1959 so missed that ! In Autumn 1960 I would be in London again as we left Margate mid September....
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 07:18 PM

We all ways had a living room and a sitting room... the sitting room was for guest and sunday afternoons .... Which when I look back .. How silly was that we were a family of 8 that extra room would of given us all so much more space.
When you have 2 dogs and cats ... keeping bext clothes is impossible
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Yea - such a waste Bags - they were usually big rooms too...ah well..
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Oh yes, 'best' everything, clothes, cutlery, dishes, rooms, the lot. My mother did it, and I found myself doing something similar, until I realised that all this lovely good stuff was just shut away and so started using it all whilst getting rid of the cheap shoddy everyday stuff. It is so much nicer eating from lovely dishes and wearing nice clothes everyday, makes everyday 'special'.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 09:31 PM

My grandmother had a best room, simply known as the parlour. We as kids were never allowed into it except on special occasions, it was kept locked when not in use. She would have people call usually on friday evening and saturday morning, we could hear the jingle of coin exchange taking place and it wasn't until years later we found out they were collecting HP debts and life insurance money. Sometimes our uncle Joe would bring home friends from the pub and we were let in to hear the 'Singing'. It was a very old room and I remember a big round table in the centre with a velvet green tablecloth on it and little tossles hanging down the edges, the ceiling was very high and it had a black marble fireplace, there was a big closet build into the wall beside the fireplace, it was always locked and whenever we asked our granny what was inside it we were told with a smile, "Nothing but a few skeletons boys.", this was enough to dampen our curiosity, but how right she was as we found out later there were quite a few skeletons in the Family closet.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

01-03-2013, 01:23 PM

We had a large sittingroom in which us children were only permitted on very rare occasions. Our parents used it when they entertained, and we had to be unseen and unheard! No matter, we had a good size room for our own use, in which we had a TV and our toys.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top