Join for free
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 10:22 PM

Bruce Reynolds dead - Great Train Robbery

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21617926

Saw on tv he had passed away! My late big brother was a TPO worker (travelling post office) and was on that train! However, he was on, what was called, the "down" special along with some of his mates, meaning he didn't go all the way on it to Crewe that night but got off to go onto the "up" special, to come back up to Scotland arriving in Glasgow next morning! The train was robbed just down the line where he and his mates got off. He knew the train driver of the train, who was never the same after the robbery. My brother always maintained it was an inside bank worker who told when the old money was being sent down on the train. As neither postal nor train personnel knew when such bags would be on board.

When my brother and his mates arrived in Glasgow Central Station at 5 am next morning, the CID were waiting for them and he spent the whole morning, along with his mates, being questioned but none of them knew anything about it!

My claim to fame!!

Mods - if this isn't the right board that I put this, can you please move it. Thank you!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:26 PM

Re: Bruce Reynolds dead - Great Train Robbery

Gosh Rosemary, your brother was lucky, it the robbers had got on higher up he could have been involved.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2013, 11:37 PM

He and the other chaps were given leave for a few days afterwards because of it. They were all affected by it as they all knew the train driver and the guards quite well.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Really interesting story about your Brother. He was lucky.
I suppose its hard for people nowadays to understand how
daring and at the same time terrible event. There wasnt the
violence publicity you get nowadays.
I did speak to a Solicitor when I temped in London in offices and
he said the money was about 10 times the amount stated at the
time and a Mr Big who had arrianged it got most of that and
never accused of organising it. So dont know who that was
but some millionaire somewhere
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland

01-03-2013, 10:03 PM

The train driver died 7 years later, he never really recovered.

I wonder where the extra money went to!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 10:07 PM

I have no sympathy for him Rosemary darlin' - he always was an evil little scroat!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top