Join for free
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 11:04 AM

NASA Update

NASA Update
Van Allen Probes Discover a New Radiation Belt

Earth's radiation belts were one of the first discoveries of the Space Age.

Back in the 1950s when the radiation belts were discovered, they had little effect on ordinary people.

James Van Allen discovered them during the 1958 launch of the first successful U.S. satellite.

Subsequent missions have observed parts of the belts, but what causes the dynamic variation in the region has remained something of a mystery.

Two nearly identical spacecraft launched in August 2012 and with only six months in operation, may well be rewriting science textbooks.

They have revealed a previously unknown third radiation belt around Earth.

The probes observed and studied these gigantic radiation belts surrounding our planet, which can swell dramatically in response to incoming energy from the sun, engulfing satellites and spacecraft and creating potential threats to manned space flight.

Today the radiation belts are crucial to our high-tech society. Hundreds of satellites used for everything from weather prediction to GPS to television routinely skim the belts, subjecting themselves to energetic particles that can damage solar panels and short-circuit sensitive electronics. During geomagnetic storms when the belts are swollen by solar activity, whole fleets of satellites can be engulfed, imperiling the technological underpinnings of daily life on the planet below. The Van Allen Probes directly address these down-to-Earth problems
Click on this link
http://tinyurl.com/agj85r6
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Re: NASA Update

I blame all the space crafts that go up for our weather
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 12:24 PM

Another interesting post Michael, thanks.
Sent the link to my son again
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Very interesting post but does highlight something that I bang on about: people should never give utter belief to scientific claims because what is known as 'fact' today, can change when new 'facts' appear tomorrow (and most scientists think that way too).

Was more ever said about the new dimension that was discovered not long ago?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2013, 12:01 AM

Van Allen who?

Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2013, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
I blame all the space crafts that go up for our weather
I blame the BBC.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top