Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 01:24 AM

Re: What did you say ?

I think any one who does not make the effort to make an ally of an in-law are doomed to make an enemy and thus alienate a son or daughter. Not a position I ever want to be in.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I think any one who does not make the effort to make an ally of an in-law are doomed to make an enemy and thus alienate a son or daughter. Not a position I ever want to be in.
Sometimes mall, all the effort in the world doesn't help bridge a gap with someone who doesn't want the gap bridged. The fact that my son hasn't alienated me is, I believe, down to the fact that he loves his Mum and a part of him knows what she's like. Sometimes, the onus has to fall also on the in-law as well.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Sometimes mall, all the effort in the world doesn't help bridge a gap with someone who doesn't want the gap bridged. The fact that my son hasn't alienated me is, I believe, down to the fact that he loves his Mum and a part of him knows what she's like. Sometimes, the onus has to fall also on the in-law as well.
Sorry if you thought my remarks were aimed at you, they weren't I was generalising. I know what you mean I have a friend who has tried her best with her son's partner and has drawn a blank at evey turn. It must be so frustrating.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

05-03-2013, 12:20 PM

It must be very hard if your parents are at war with your spouse and you have to be piggy in the middle. I didn't get on with my in-laws, but then neither did my husband get on with his parents, so it was never a problem in that sense.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Sorry if you thought my remarks were aimed at you, they weren't I was generalising. I know what you mean I have a friend who has tried her best with her son's partner and has drawn a blank at evey turn. It must be so frustrating.
No, not at all mall - it seems I'm the only one at loggerheads with an in-law and I just wanted to point out that I have done all I can but you can only bang your head against a brick wall so many times. Fortunately, she has slipped up when my son has been there so he's seen it for himself (to a lesser degree of course).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top