Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Re: Cholestorol down a bit

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I haven't at the moment but I've only been on them three weeks as I was in the middle of swimming when I had a angina attack and that was about three weeks ago. I never had any problems with my heart before that. I don't even know what my cholestrol is, I didn't even know I had high cholestrol until recently when I was in hospital three weeks ago You think my GP would have mentioned it I'll get my GP to keep an eye on it. It's early days for me
Alison darlin' in view of your recent health scare, I presume you've also been given doses of either Aspirin or Warfarin to take to thin your blood and stop it clotting inside your heart. I too am on Warfarin (not because I've had a heart attack - but have had five pulmonary emboli - blood clots inside the lung). Take things gently, (even exercise) and don't go stressing yourself too much.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2013, 08:15 PM

I'm on aspirin thanks UJ x
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Alison darlin' - just be steady with the Aspirin as it can cause problems with your digestive system. Has been known to cause or irritate stomach ulcers and cause bleeding.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Alison darlin' - just be steady with the Aspirin as it can cause problems with your digestive system. Has been known to cause or irritate stomach ulcers and cause bleeding.
Thanks UJ, I'll keep an eye on that.
joshturner
New Member!
New York
joshturner is male 

06-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
That's brilliant news Dog Lover You're an inspiration to me. My cholestrol is high and I am on statins so it's nice to hear yours has gone down without them.
hey, your cholesterol level is high you can try Mevacor medication. this drug is very popular to prevent cholesterol level.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 10:54 AM

I refuse. absolutely, to take statins so I'm running my own tests by taking a plant sterol supplement. As it takes around 3 months for cholesterol ratings to change, I have a while to go yet before I find out. Exercise was the one way I could guarantee would lower it but injury has now prevented that course of action.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Don't talk to me about flippin statins. I forget how long I have been on them but over the past three years have aged about 20!! I wake in the night with severe muscle pain, my joints ache, I have lost muscle tone and strength in my thighs - need I go on? And I have not been allowed to eat grapefruit for years! Furthermore it appears that a condition I have developed known as Angio oedema (look it up, symptoms are dreadful) is apparently triggered by statins and I now need to take a total of four of the highest dose antihistamines a day and it still is not completely under control. In fact I have requested a fasting blood test to see just how the cholesterol stands so that may hopefully cease with them. I am sure that I read somewhere that recent research has said that the ruddy things are ineffective anyway.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

07-03-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Don't talk to me about flippin statins. I forget how long I have been on them but over the past three years have aged about 20!! I wake in the night with severe muscle pain, my joints ache, I have lost muscle tone and strength in my thighs - need I go on? And I have not been allowed to eat grapefruit for years! Furthermore it appears that a condition I have developed known as Angio oedema (look it up, symptoms are dreadful) is apparently triggered by statins and I now need to take a total of four of the highest dose antihistamines a day and it still is not completely under control. In fact I have requested a fasting blood test to see just how the cholesterol stands so that may hopefully cease with them. I am sure that I read somewhere that recent research has said that the ruddy things are ineffective anyway.
DM I presume you're taking Simvastatin. If that is so, I too had lots of the symptoms you described some years ago. My Doctor took me off Simvastatin and put me on Atorvastatin (Lipitor) 10 Mg instead. After a while the symptoms subsided and so far haven't returned. Late last year, due to a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes, the Doctors have doubled the dose of Lipitor I take, but still I am without the symptoms you describe. Might I suggest that you get your Doctors to do the same and swop your Statin for one that is more comfortable for you.
Alicat
West Berkshire

07-03-2013, 11:09 PM

I was taken off Simvastin about two weeks ago, I had bad pains down one arm that woke me up at night and I also had muscle pains so the doctor took me off them and I have to see her again in a months time. I'm not on anything at the moment for cholestrol. I haven't had the pain since I've come off them.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 02:54 PM

I've just got the latest results for my cholesterol.. Down from 7.1 to 6.2.
I didn't want to take statins, so I tried these Benecol drinks & spreads instead (other makes are available). These appear on offer from time to time and as I liked yoghurt, low fat spread etc.. the additional cost was minimal.

The Doc. congratulated me, but still says it's too high. That's the trouble here - too target and procedure driven.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top