Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Re: Useless Remedies.

Alright people, there is scientific evidence on the efficacy of onions. Scientists tried to grow the virus on an onion and failed as the onion killed off the virus. For those who are currently suffering, eating raw onions are good (cheese & onion sarnies are a good way of doing so).
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 10:04 AM

I love cheese and onion butties in fact I love raw onion,pickled onions, boiled onions,fried onions, roast onions, onion gravy in fact if it's got onion in I'll have it and if it's not I'll put it in.
Other than that lemon or lime in hot water with honey and glycerine, will try the cloves though.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 11:08 AM

Paracetamol is inexpensive and does the same job as the expensive remedies. All they do is bring down your temperature and relieve a headache. I do think it needs to run it's course though.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Paracetamol is inexpensive and does the same job as the expensive remedies. All they do is bring down your temperature and relieve a headache. I do think it needs to run it's course though.
Mall darlin' - paracetamol taken with a hot honey and lemon drink. The contradiction between the two (one trying to reduce your temperature, the other raising it) makes you perspire (or in ladies' case glow) which helps to irradicate the virus from your system.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I avoid paracetemol but if aspirin can be tolerated, the Beecham's Powders take the crown.

My son is in music production and gives his singers a mix of boiled water, honey, lemon and fresh ginger if they have colds or throat problems and it does seem to be based in fact:

By combining the complementary flavors of sweet ginger with the pungency of garlic not only adds a wonderful taste, their anti-viral qualities are an excellent cure for colds and flu.

Brewed as a tea, it induces sweating, which helps fevers run their course. It also tones and helps boost the immune system. For a cup of fresh ginger tea, steep about five or six thin slices of ginger root to hot water. Add lemon and sweetener if desired. Fresh ginger can be stored in the refrigerator in an airy container for up to three weeks if it is left unpeeled. Stored unpeeled in the freezer, it will keep for up to six months.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Just a tip, picked up decades ago when nursing. The cold virus first begins multiplying in the nasal cavities and pharynx area of the throat. So, as soon as you feel the initial 'prickly' sensation you often get at the start of a cold or influenza drink as much as you can, and also use a steam inhaler (or simply a bowl of hot water and a towel - menthol and eucalyptus oil in the water is good) this will flush much of the virus down the throat into the stomach where the acid will kill it, or down the nose where you can collect in a tissue and dispose. I have to agree with others about the hot whiskey/lemon/honey toddy to ease symptoms.

Also come to think of it, I find a shot of whiskey in hot tea actually helps to achieve a good nights sleep even without a cold.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Alright people, there is scientific evidence on the efficacy of onions. Scientists tried to grow the virus on an onion and failed as the onion killed off the virus. For those who are currently suffering, eating raw onions are good (cheese & onion sarnies are a good way of doing so).
I love Onions, almost everything I cook from start has a big load of onions in it. Love cheese and onion sandwiches...sometimes add a dollop of Bransons Pickle too, for the Laird.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 07:39 PM

You really know your onions on this forum.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
You really know your onions on this forum.
Giggle......
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jem as a child I had a daily dose of Angier's Emulsion , are you telling me I went through all that for nothing

I also had Virol and syrup of figs which I loved and cod liver oil which I would rather forget

Does anyone remember Angiers junior aspirin they tasted like sweeties.
I remember Angiers junior aspririn - tasted of orange
Syrup of figs I remember but hubby said his favourite was malt and cod liver oil

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top