Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 02:25 AM

Hypoglycemia seems to be the cause...

I've posted before about my partner's depression and anger and other health concerns. Now that he's had to quit drinking a litre or two of Coca-Cola a day a lot of the symptoms have disappeared. Reading up on hypoglycemia online really helped us understand what's going on.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Re: Hypoglycemia seems to be the cause...

Well done Annie. Litres of Cola doesnt sound good. I get hyperactive if I just drink a can. Read the other week about the Australian woman who drank 10 litres a day and died at 30 years old. I couldnt believe her husband who said he didnt think that would hurt her? Even 10 litres of water a day would hurt you.
Hope your Hubby gets better soon
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 10:38 AM

Glad to hear that his problems seem to be resolved. I hope his health continues to improve.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I've posted before about my partner's depression and anger and other health concerns. Now that he's had to quit drinking a litre or two of Coca-Cola a day a lot of the symptoms have disappeared. Reading up on hypoglycemia online really helped us understand what's going on.
Very interesting to hear such anecdotal evidence. The 10% sugar has always worried me though personally I have never been able to drink the stuff - Pepsi and Coke just taste revolting to me and always have done. Not that I like any fizzing drinks unless they involve hops.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Hi Sue I hope you are well at the moment.

I am pleased to hear a cause has been found for your Partners problem, it must be a relief to you both
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2013, 03:02 AM

From what we read of hypoglycemia, a high dose of sugar triggers the pancreas to flood the bloodstream with insulin, but this heavy volume of insulin depletes the sugar to below normal levels. Symptoms include visual problems and slurred speech (which we thought were mini-strokes but his blood pressure stayed normal so that was odd), acting aggressively, crankiness and much more.

So finding this out is one good thing that's come of our situation anyway.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Hi Annie

Glad to hear you've got to the bottom of the problems I think you might be referring to hyperglycemia rather than hypoglycemia (related but not the same) hypo is very low blood sugar and hyper is very high. As far as I know, and I'm not expert, the treatment is much the same - sensible diet and exercise. I think the most important thing is regular small meals rather than 3 meals per day and avoiding sugar. I suffer with hypoglycemia - my blood sugar drops and I feel very odd when I have an attack. The most peculiar thing is that diabetics (of which I am one) are not supposed to have hypoglycemia - but I most definitely do.

Here is a very good foodplan - the author wrote it for hypoglycemics but it works just as well for hypers too.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/208295/Sug...oglycemia-Diet
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

10-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Once we get back on our feet we can work on a food plan. For now he's unable to do much about that other than quit drinking Coke, but having an answer helps a great deal. It's actually 'hypo' (low) because, as we understand it, his sugar intake caused the pancreas to flood the bloodstream with insulin. This reaction lowered blood sugar too far too quickly. At least we know he's not been having mini-strokes when his vision blurs and his speech is affected.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2013, 05:24 PM

My sister gets the blurred vision, I don't get that, I just get a horrible creepy feeling across my body, and start a sort of cold sweat thing and feel very unbalanced.

The food plan is fiddly to get used to but as I understand it works extremely well for people with dysfunctional blood sugar control. I hope you didn't mind me posting it. As far as I know a regular protein intake i.e at every meal is quite important.

Quitting the coke was probably a good idea and has probably gone a long way to to balancing him.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

10-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
My sister gets the blurred vision, I don't get that, I just get a horrible creepy feeling across my body, and start a sort of cold sweat thing and feel very unbalanced.

The food plan is fiddly to get used to but as I understand it works extremely well for people with dysfunctional blood sugar control. I hope you didn't mind me posting it. As far as I know a regular protein intake i.e at every meal is quite important.

Quitting the coke was probably a good idea and has probably gone a long way to to balancing him.
Of course I don't mind - it's all good information to have, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top