Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2009, 09:32 PM

Re: So you think dog-walking is an easy job??

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What happens if you have a couple of dogs with the same name? I suppose they will both come running to you
Doesn't make any difference to them - if I call one of them to me and a few more come, they all get a biscuit anyway!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
The few complaints I have had have all been from people who don't like dogs, and think they should all be shot - yes, that's what I have been told!!

So I hope that's given you an insight into my job and I hope I haven't bored you too much!
Wanda, thank you, in all honesty I've never met a proffessional dog walker before but I'm pleased to see you've applied some science and even some behavourial studies to the business. I imagine many people must think it's a doddle of a job but you've shown that you must think about it.

And from a 'business' point of view every dog represents a sale so it must be hard (But right) to refuse to take an aggressive or troublesome dog.

One of our two is like that, it's in her genes I believe, the other is completely different, hasn't got a bad bone in her body, you only really notice the difference in dogs when you have two (or more) at once, previously OH & I have only ever had one dog in the familly.

As for people saying all dogs should be shot well I'd be doing time in Parkhurst if anyone ever said that to me

ETA:-
Glad you support the 'pack leader' theory - I believe in that too.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2009, 06:07 PM

I heard on the news today that a council (I can't remember which one, but it was on the local news) is going to make dog walkers register and sign up to a code of conduct, it seems that a lot of people are taking it up, some who maybe shouldn't. It could be a good thing.

I agree with you Losos, I would have something to say if someone said to me all dogs should be shot, its sad that there are people like that out there.
Wanda
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2009, 09:23 PM

I would welcome registers of dog walkers. I have seen some awful, dreadful dog walkers, who give the profession a really bad name. I've seen people coming out with brand new vans containing washers, cages, air conditioning etc. with a dozen dogs, none of whom know one another, none of whom know the dog walker, none of whom know the area or what they are supposed to be doing. They have no insurance, they have no experience of walking dogs, they have no idea of controlling the dogs. Within a couple of months they have given up, because they find out that it is nowhere near as easy as they think it is going to be. The worst one I ever saw tried to walk about eight dogs, all off lead, through a field full of sheep and lambs of course, the inevitable happened - a lamb was chased and killed. I saw it all happening, the dog walker screaming and shouting, chasing the dogs, and I could do nothing, as I had my group of dogs with me. I felt sick. That particular dog walker gave up there and then, and never walked another dog. She was very lucky that the farmer wasn't around, as she might have had to explain to her clients why their beloved pet had been shot.

The most irritating thing is when people say to me: "Oh, what a lovely little job you have - I've often thought I could do that, money for old rope"!! Grrrr! They forget the days when it never stops raining, snowing or sleeting, and you are out in it for 4 - 5 hours at a time looking after and being responsible for other people's precious pets, driving round picking up and dropping off dogs on icy slippy roads, getting caught up in road works on steaming hot summer days with half a dozen hot dogs in the back of the car, (particularly when we are on our way to a walk, as opposed to coming back from a walk, as not only are they very, very excited, but most of them are requiring a pee, or worse!

It is certainly not a job for the faint-hearted, or if you are worried about your appearance
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 12:45 AM

Very valuable insight into the profession (and it is a profession!) from a knowledgable, skilled and obviously caring person. I'm not a dog person but if I were I'd certainly trust mine to you.
taffh
Newport South Wales UK
taffh is male  taffh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Saw a young girl yesterday walking 6 dogs 3 collies 2 dobies and a staff the staff took off and pulled her into a rien she let go of all the dogs the dobbies went like a rocket the staff sat on the bank of the rien and waited the collies came to me and played with my collie quite happy went and got her out of the water she said it was her first day as a walker she spent 20mins getting the dobermans back the staff just sat there wanted bellie rubs and i think laughing to himself this young girl wanted to leave the dogs with me and go home I managed to get her to return the dogs back to there owners was worried she was going to dump the dogs on me. i hope she either walks less at one time or gives up completely there needs to be some sort of check here to stop anyone unsuitable setting up these services Noel
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Wow, that could have turned out very badly!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
They forget the days when it never stops raining, snowing or sleeting, and you are out in it for 4 - 5 hours at a time looking after and being responsible for other people's precious pets, driving round picking up and dropping off dogs on icy slippy roads, getting caught up in road works on steaming hot summer days with half a dozen hot dogs in the back of the car, (particularly when we are on our way to a walk, as opposed to coming back from a walk, as not only are they very, very excited, but most of them are requiring a pee, or worse!
I know what you mean about that Wanda, once in my distant past I had a job where I had to be on the road in all weathers, frequently stuck in traffic jams with customers expecting you urgently to fix their systems, and this was before the days of mobile phones (Well before the public ones anyway) often had to be on the top of some mountain in rain sleet and snow too

Keep up the good work, your reward will come in doggy heaven

At least the spare parts I always carried didn't pee in the backof my van
Wanda

20-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by taffh ->
Saw a young girl yesterday walking 6 dogs 3 collies 2 dobies and a staff the staff took off and pulled her into a rien she let go of all the dogs the dobbies went like a rocket the staff sat on the bank of the rien and waited the collies came to me and played with my collie quite happy went and got her out of the water she said it was her first day as a walker she spent 20mins getting the dobermans back the staff just sat there wanted bellie rubs and i think laughing to himself this young girl wanted to leave the dogs with me and go home I managed to get her to return the dogs back to there owners was worried she was going to dump the dogs on me. i hope she either walks less at one time or gives up completely there needs to be some sort of check here to stop anyone unsuitable setting up these services Noel
Well, there you go - sheer, utter madness
Wanda

20-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I know what you mean about that Wanda, once in my distant past I had a job where I had to be on the road in all weathers, frequently stuck in traffic jams with customers expecting you urgently to fix their systems, and this was before the days of mobile phones (Well before the public ones anyway) often had to be on the top of some mountain in rain sleet and snow too

Keep up the good work, your reward will come in doggy heaven

At least the spare parts I always carried didn't pee in the backof my van
I keep hoping my reward will come a bit sooner than that Losos

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top