Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 05:57 PM

The end of Antibiotics?

Hi

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34857015

This I do find scary.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 06:02 PM

Re: The end of Antibiotics?

Indeed I am very glad the flu jab has taken care of my chest infections as that was so far all I have needed them for.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 06:53 PM

I heard that on the news SF, a sad state of affairs, I hope they pull all the stoppers out to try and get a handle on this, very scary indeed.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 07:10 PM

In Spring of this year, there was a Panorama programme, "Antibiotics Apocalypse" which predicted that in 35 years it will be impossible to carry out hip replacements, organ donation, cancer treatment, or treat infections. It is 30 years since a new class of antibiotics was developed.
The programme explained that one class of antibiotics - carbapenems - are truly the "last ditch" resort - and that recently in India where the antibiotic resistance is worst due to overuse and abuse - they have seen the first case of an infection which is resistant to carbapenems.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2015, 01:03 AM

It is the same with garden chemicals, and veterinary drugs as well, has been for years. The insects/parasites that survive being dosed with the chemicals, go on to breed more and more immune generations.
I guess this is what is happening with human medicine too.

Maybe that's a perfect case of the old saying "What don't kill you, makes you stronger!" In this case, it's true.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 04:16 PM

It is scarey. I think it's already started for me as I've had that Pseudomonas Aeruginosa for over six months now and it won't go. I've got large leg ulcers on each leg and both legs have to be bandaged all the time, unfortunately my legs get infected every three weeks and I am on antibiotics every three weeks. The infection clears for a couple of weeks and then comes back. Greeny blue fluid leaks out of the ulcers which is the colour from the Pseudomonas.

It's very worrying!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Worries me too.

My ear infections took a total of 11 weeks to eradicate.

The Bacterial infection was a particularly virulent form of MRSA they told me when the Lab results came back after my second bout.

I had fungal infections too but they're more common amongst those that need to wear hearing aids.

As a gardener I've noticed that whitefly, greenfly and blackfly all seem to be resistant to many of the usual treatments these days.

I don't like spraying but as I work I can't patrol our garden here with a washing-up liquid mixture like I used to do so I have no choice now - same as at work.

It's all relevant because if the insect world is evolving then so is the bacterial world. stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 10:28 PM

And still some Doctors dole out ABs like sweeties .
Every time my sister gets the slightest sore throat or sniffles she is prescribed ABs .

I believe intensively farmed animals and birds have played a large part in antibiotic resistance and even if it has been controlled to some extent here we have no control over imported animals .

There is already an AB resistant strain of Gonorrhea...
http://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/arg/.

Like Alicat I have had Pseudomonas Aeruginosa following a chest infection, it took months to eradicate because it is resistant to most antibiotics.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
And still some Doctors dole out ABs like sweeties .
Every time my sister gets the slightest sore throat or sniffles she is prescribed ABs .

I believe intensively farmed animals and birds have played a large part in antibiotic resistance and even if it has been controlled to some extent here we have no control over imported animals .

There is already an AB resistant strain of Gonorrhea...
http://www.cdc.gov/std/gonorrhea/arg/.

Yes, imported animals and plantlife are all involved as well.
Wormers have been getting resistant for years.
Obviously the plants are not antibiotic resistant, but the insects on them, whether home grown or imported, have become more resistant to treatments too.

As far as us and resistance is concerned, isn't MRSA another one that is increasingly difficult one to treat, and as you say, Gonorrhea is too.
Who knows what the future holds. .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top