Join for free
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Want To Or Struggling To Stop Smoking!

It can be done and easily.
I have spent years trying to give up and have tried every nicotine replacement going under the stop smoking clinics in fact in desperation they even combined two replacement things but I always failed miserably and often only managed 2- 4 hours without a ciggarette. I have no will power whatsoever.
Every older member of my family has died of heart disease and my father has emphasema (sp) but still this didn't scare me into giving up. My breathing was bad and wheezy and I was getting chest pains but still i couldn't stop.
I had been told I had a true nicotine addiction as I couldn't function in the morning till I had my first ciggie and would get out of bed and straight down and out the back door in my dressing gown whatever the weather to get my fix.
Then I heard about this book written by Allan Carr (not the comedien) called The Easy Way to stop smoking.
To cut a long story short I read it and now havn't smoked for 2 weeks and have no desire to smoke again.
It works on your mind and you realise it is nothing to do with nicotine withdrawl just your mind, and how you must never think you are giving up smoking as humans immeadietly crave something if they think they have to give something up.
He also says never use nicotine replacements as that just prolongs the suffering. If you do it his way he says within 3 weeks even the hardest nut to crack will not really be thinking of having one anymore. I have to say within 2 weeks I don't think about them hardly at all maybe once a day and even then I don't want one.
He also does seminars if you struggle with the book and he is so confident his method works you get a full money back garruntee if he fails to stop you.
It really has worked for me an been very easy to do. You may say its only been two weeks but I don't crave and don't want a ciggie at all and thinking the way i do now I know I never will.
Honestly if you want to stop this really is a quick easy way to do it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 09:43 AM

Re: Want To Or Struggling To Stop Smoking!

Congratulations on achieving two weeks without the dreaded weed Madmare. It must be getting out of your system now and, hopefully, you will soon see the benefits of stopping - apart from the one in your pocket. Keep it up, I'm sure you won''t regret it.
charaku
New Member!
Sapporo, Japan
charaku is male 

21-10-2010, 10:12 AM

thanks for that madmare....i'll 'google' the book
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 12:19 PM

Congratulations MM, you should feel very proud of yourself!

I gave up smoking thirty-odd years ago and can still remember how great I felt at beating the weed!

My daughter's in-laws have been trying unsuccessfully to give up smoking for years, they've tried patches, tablets, stop smoking clinics - all to no avail. I will suggest that book to her and maybe she will pass the info on to them.

Unknowingly your post may help many people!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Well done MM!

I gave up 3 times, twice when cold turkey and only lasted 6 months each time, and then used patches - and have been fag-free for about 10 years!

Nicotine is a very very very addictive drug and you _need_ to be weaned off it - otherwise it will be easy to take up the habit again, imo.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 03:12 PM

One benefit (about the only one) of my fundamentalist Christian childhood was a detestation of smoking, which has stayed with me for life. No one is permitted to smoke within our home, fortunately none of my close family have ever smoked, nor have we any friends who smoke either. One of our daughters suffers from asthma so it was imperative no one smoked around her as a child.
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm very impressed MM as I have also been trying to give up for ages but to no avail. Like you I have absolutely no will power and always say 'tomorrow'. I have the Allan Carr book which came with CD's but have never read it so have just put it on the coffee table and will start tonight.

It is very sad that Allan Carr died at the age of 71 from lung cancer which is scarey considering he gave up when he was about 48.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
I'm very impressed MM as I have also been trying to give up for ages but to no avail. Like you I have absolutely no will power and always say 'tomorrow'. I have the Allan Carr book which came with CD's but have never read it so have just put it on the coffee table and will start tonight.

It is very sad that Allan Carr died at the age of 71 from lung cancer which is scarey considering he gave up when he was about 48.
Good Luck, I didn't get any cd's so that has to be a bonus.
Don't try to stop before you finish the book, in fact it was 3 weeks after I finished and after another skim through it I stopped.
I also had to time running out of ciggarettes right as well. I couldn't bear to throw any away, and I couldn't stop halfway through a day, so I had to keep smoking until it worked I ran out of ciggarettes as I had my last one at night. Daft I know but thats what worked for me.
I saw the stop smoking nurse doing her shopping the other day and she stopped and asked how I was and if I was ready to attempt again to stop. I told her I had stopped and she nearly had heart failure. I told her I used Allan Carrs book and she said she had heard it was good and very succesful.
Think she was pleased she could finally tick me off her failure list.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2010, 02:10 PM

I am always glad to hear of People who can give up smoking, to my way of thinking they are stronger than the person who never started in the first place. However, I am a complete addict and all my Family and friends have pleaded with me for years to give it up (including my two Grandsons),but to no avail, so now thankfully, they leave me in peace. I enjoy it too much and am fully prepared to accept the risks attached to smoking,'Be it on my own head' as they say. As for passive smoking, if all they say is true we would be all dead long ago, my Father and Mother puffed like trains when we were kids.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top