Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2018, 06:25 PM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Is anyone still picking runner beans .
I have got lots of tiny beans on there but I fear the two early hard frosts we have had in the last week checked their growth and I won't get anymore
Think winters might be early this year.

Leaves on the trees turning yellow.

Non Hardy plants dying off.

A heavy frost a few days ago with another one forecast in two days time hopefully will also start killing the weeds.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 01:31 PM

Is anyone still picking runner beans .
I have got lots of tiny beans on there but I fear the two early hard frosts we have had in the last week checked their growth and I won't get anymore
No Meg, I removed my plant about three weeks ago. There were still plenty of beans but they were tough as old boots. The flowers had finished, so I thought it best to just clear them. i will probably try a different name next year.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No Meg, I removed my plant about three weeks ago. There were still plenty of beans but they were tough as old boots. The flowers had finished, so I thought it best to just clear them. i will probably try a different name next year.
Similarly, Marge removed her beans ('green beans' she says, 'not runner beans') at the beginning of September.

Nevertheless, she came in every day before that with a great handful of them.

Personally, I'm not complaining; I was sick of green beans with every meal!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Think winters might be early this year.
Yes Galty it looks like it might be, we have had 4 white frosts here already and that is very early...

LD I have had loads of beans in the last few weeks. I pick them when they small.
I grow a variety called 'Aintree' they are stringless and sweet and tender with a good crop. They actually like beans, many beans don't seem to taste of anything these days....
https://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/ru...s-pid1954.html
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 09:30 PM

Yes Galty it looks like it might be, we have had 4 white frosts here already and that is very early...

LD I have had loads of beans in the last few weeks. I pick them when they small.
I grow a variety called 'Aintree' they are stringless and sweet and tender with a good crop. They actually like beans, many beans don't seem to taste of anything these days....

https://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/ru...s-pid1954.html
thanks Meg. I have made a note of Aintree for next year along with Moonlight and Snowstorm.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Just picked another hand full and plenty more on the plants. depending now on weather and temperature
Almost big enough to pick

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Just picked another hand full and plenty more on the plants. depending now on weather and temperature
Almost big enough to pick
Well done Bazza I am having runner beans for lunch and think there will be one more picking to come.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Mine finished weeks ago, although I have to admit that after six weeks of beans beans and more beans I'm happy to tidy the plants away...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-10-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Mine finished weeks ago, although I have to admit that after six weeks of beans beans and more beans I'm happy to tidy the plants away...
I have to say I found them a bit..... windy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 11:30 PM

I have to say I found them a bit..... windy.
Oh, you should try baked beans, or mushy peas. They leave green beans standing in the tooting stakes.

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top