Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 06:02 PM

Chiropractor

As I'm in my 8th week of pain without getting to see my doctor I was wondering about trying a Chiropractor. Has anyone got experience of their treatment? I'm so tired and miserable with the relentless pain I am at my wits end, to get some sleep and relief from pain.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 07:30 PM

Re: Chiropractor

I used a chiropractor many, many years' ago and the results were good. The problem I had was ongoing for months and after seeing the chiropractor could understand why. I had lifted something at work which was awkward and heavy, I had actually put a disc in my neck out which caused not only the pain there but also really bad headaches.

That was in the days when it was physiotherapists who carried out that kind of treatment, osteopaths and chiropractors were not really recognised as they are now. Even a GP will agree with what they do as basically they are physiotherapists by another name and because they can massage and then put discs back in place.

When I had that treatment he massaged the muscles all around that area, turning my neck while doing so and then one quick but firm twist and the disc was back in place, such a relief too! 'Touch wood' it's been OK ever since and that was about 50 years' ago so permanent, in my case anyway.

It was expensive in those days but no idea about that now, it may have become less expensive as it became more accepted. Good luck with it anyway, there's nothing worse than pain to deal with.

There's some information you may find useful on the link below, it's not a recommendation as it's many miles from me anyway plus I've never used that one:

https://www.dorridgechiropractic.co....s-best-for-you
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 09:07 PM

Thankyou Baz much appreciated.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 10:05 PM

Roxy, a chiropractor has been looking after my back for years.
Whenever I feel it getting to dodgy again, usually every 3 or 4 months, I go back and she puts me right again.

There are good and bad ones, like there are doctors or builders! There are also two main types - The ordinary chiropractors who often 'click' things about to manipulate, (like Baz just said), much like osteopaths work, but personally I don't get on with that way of doing it because it makes me tense up waiting for the sudden movement.

I go for the much gentler method which doesn't hurt or make me jump at all. This way is called MacTimoney method. Many of these will do animals as well. My lady does dogs and horses as well as humans, and she put my old dog's disc back into place once. I know this is so, as it had been x-rayed and I saw the disc myself. One visit and 40 mins later, she could walk again without pain.

You imagine someone trying to click a horse's joints suddenly, he'd probably get a kick in the chops, but the MacTimoney trained people don't do this.

Here are both websites for you to make your own mind up, but I do strongly suggest you get one registered with the appropariate association.

1. https://chiropractic-uk.co.uk/ (This is the 'clicking' method)

2. This is MacTimoney - https://www.mctimoney-chiropractic.org/home.aspx

The trouble is, as was explained to me long ago, the longer you leave these painful areas, your body tries to adapt and sort of 'gets used' to be it being like that. Then when the practitioner puts things back where they should be and re-aligns things, your body somethimes things . . 'Hold on, that's not where it was'" and can pop back again, so you might need another treatment.
Also, when something has been out of place a long time, you stand different, sit different, and walk different to try and ease the pain, and that can make you over-use other parts uneccessarily so then they start to protest. Bit like if you have a bad left leg, you will put too much weight on the right leg to compensate, then the right leg will protest.

I'm going on a bit, so I'll shut up and let yu have a read.
Good luck, and try and get it sorted so's you feel better soon. x
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 11:03 PM

Roxy – just a thought, would it be any good phoning 111?

We have that service here 'down south' and it seems as if that is a gateway to health services. All I am thinking is that they could get a GP to contact you which would save you waiting. We can get referred by them to a GP and they will even get an ambulance in the same way as phoning 999 in an emergency, if they consider it necessary.

I see you do have the service in Scotland, link below explains exactly what they could do to help, if that's possible:

https://www.nhs24.scot/our-services/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2020, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

We have that service here 'down south' and it seems as if that is a gateway to health services. All I am thinking is that they could get a GP to contact you which would save you waiting. We can get referred by them to a GP and they will even get an ambulance in the same way as phoning 999 in an emergency, if they consider it necessary.

I see you do have the service in Scotland, link below explains exactly what they could do to help, if that's possible:

https://www.nhs24.scot/our-services/

Baz, I never knew a GP would refer you to for chiropractic work? My experience is they prefer to fill you full of pills and painkillers instead. My surgery does anyway.

I might be wrong, but with the NHS's huge back log for treatments now, even if they did a referral, I would have thought you might have a long wait, whereas if we pay for it ourselves, you can usually get in with a week or so.

Having said that, Baz, they did refer me to a physio recently, but when that department phoned me they are only doing telephone consultations!

I said how on earth could he give me exercises over the phone? And how could he see if I was doing them right??
Crazy.
Baz46

06-12-2020, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Baz, I never knew a GP would refer you to for chiropractic work? My experience is they prefer to fill you full of pills and painkillers instead. My surgery does anyway.

I might be wrong, but with the NHS's huge back log for treatments now, even if they did a referral, I would have thought you might have a long wait, whereas if we pay for it ourselves, you can usually get in with a week or so.

That is not what I actually wrote, see in bold above. The 111 service will get you contact or seen by a GP, or someone who could help. Private chiropractic services would not I doubt be part of this service. This is often a way of getting some help if in that much pain. The 111 service is there for use when doctor's are closed, also I believe I read that they can also help if it's pain from dental problems. I've never used it but do know people who have, 'down south' that is. Scotland has a different NHS service but I just wondered if that existed there and checking it out there is a service like we have so I gave the link to check this out.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-12-2020, 12:20 AM

Sorry Baz, but when you said a GP would contact you and save you waiting, I thought you meant they could save you waiting for a chiropractic appointment by giving you an early referral.
I see what you meant now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

07-12-2020, 09:26 PM

Well I saw a Chiropractor this evening and and I now know what's going going on in my back. One of the vertebrae spikes that stick out of your spine is the cause of it all, instead of pointing out it's moved to pointing down and it's pressing on part of the right side of the sacrum. The two are pressing on some nerve and that's causing all the pain in the right leg and butt cheek, he said it's badly inflamed too, It went into full spasm last night and that's why I had such a bad time. These vertebrae are not moving like they should they are seizing up and need to be worked on, twice a week for a while then once a week then once a month untill they go back to doing what they should be doing. I went in to his office on 2 sticks was worked on and questioned for 90 minutes, was terrified but it was not painful, well not much and it got easier the more he worked them. I was almost pain free when I came out and still feeling so much better, he warned me it will get painful again and not to overdo anything, but the more it's worked on the easier things will get and life will return to what's my normal. But it looks like I will have to go in for a Spine MOT every now and then and get another session done.
Sooooo hoping I get to sleep tonight, I desperately need to catch up on the past few weeks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

08-12-2020, 12:32 AM

Well done Roxy, glad you feel so much better.

I wouldn't let him push you into too many visits though, see how you feel as you go along.
As I said earlier, I find roughly a quarterly visit keeps me supple, unless I do anything silly in between, but there again, I probably have got a different diagnosis to you.

Hope you get some sleep now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top