Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 01:19 PM

Re: Bye Bye Roger, Off You Go Back Via Great Western!

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
In the old lead telephone cables the wires were paper insulated and twisted in pairs indicated by a number of coloured bars on the paper combined with the layer in which they were wound. They had to be very carefully laid out and went in opposite directions depending on which end of the cable you were at.

Plastic coated telephone wires in my day were always based on:

Blue Orange Green Brown Slate

Each twisted with a white wire

If you needed more than 5 pairs

Then they added another colour like Blue White, Orange White, Green White etc

I forget what happened after that, after all it was 50 years ago.
Yeah that sounds much like the mess of wires in the box I mentioned. No wonder our internet is slow!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yeah that sounds much like the mess of wires in the box I mentioned. No wonder our internet is slow!
That is an interesting point, I wonder how they identify fibre? you cant stick a battery or a tone on it and the fibre itself is so thin it must be hard to colour.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is an interesting point, I wonder how they identify fibre? you cant stick a battery or a tone on it and the fibre itself is so thin it must be hard to colour.
Are you talking about fibre broadband? Because that's underground. They dig up the pavements in a huge long strip, lay the cables, and recover with tarmac/bitumen. If that is not what you mean...then, what fibre are you referring to? I tried to take a photo of the box I mentioned, when I was out with the dog, but it was being worked on by a telephone guy so I didn't dare!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 07:45 PM

Causes of unconsciousness are FISH SHAPED

Fainting
Infantile convulsions
Stroke
Head injury

Shock
Heart attack
Acute abdominal emergency
Poisoning
Epilepsy
Diabetes

From my days as a First Aid instructor.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Are you talking about fibre broadband? Because that's underground. They dig up the pavements in a huge long strip, lay the cables, and recover with tarmac/bitumen. If that is not what you mean...then, what fibre are you referring to? I tried to take a photo of the box I mentioned, when I was out with the dog, but it was being worked on by a telephone guy so I didn't dare!
Yes I am talking about Fibre Broadband and while it is underground presumably it starts off as a cable with many fibres in it which is then distributed into smaller and smaller cables as the network spreads to individual house level. There was no need to dig up the streets they just pulled the old copper cables out of the ducts and replaced it with fibre cables. (Telephone cables here were always underground right into the house)

For example my house has one strand of fibre terminated on my wall, it goes to a box in the footpath outside where every other fibre from from ajoining houses is connected to a multicored fibre cable which goes to a cabinet on the footpath about 100 metres from my house where it will join up with all the fibres from every house in the surrounding streets. From there I presume it joins ever bigger cables to get back to the exchange.

I doubt it is one fibre so each individual fibre in any given cable needs to be identified and I have absolutely no idea how that is done
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2021, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Oh, I see what this thread is all about now.

How about this one: Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.

Or this one: My Very Educated Mother Just Showed Us Nine Planets.
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top