Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 06:29 PM

Argos.

No more Argos catalogues.Can only see the goods on line.Used to spend time turning the pages especially to see the toys for the children at Christmas time.They used to put crosses on the things they fancied so Santa would know!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Re: Argos.

I thought the catalogues at the Argos stores went a long while ago, in favour of online catalogues. I know my granddaughter wanted something at Argos and I hadn't been in one for five or more years so was surprised to find no more pens to mark the items on the order to hand over and then wait for the item(s). I was also very surprised to see my 16-year-old granddaughter had her own credit or debit card and used it in the machine to pay. How things have changed nowadays, they grow up almost eight or ten years' before our age group did!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 07:38 PM

Anyone remember the greenshield stamps "stores" which, I think, Argos took over from? No money exchanged, just books of, er, greenshield stamps which were collected from somewhere and stuck in??? Can't remember where..(was it the coop??)
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 07:48 PM

Thought green shield stamps came from garages when you bought petrol.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Yes, I thought the same

Wasn't it Esso garages that gave them with the petrol?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Not going to post the links, but apparently they ran in Tesco stores for a fair old while before they diminuished in popularity and ended up solely on the forecourts.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Anyone remember the greenshield stamps "stores" which, I think, Argos took over from? No money exchanged, just books of, er, greenshield stamps which were collected from somewhere and stuck in??? Can't remember where..(was it the coop??)
I remember my parents dutifully collecting green shield stamps from Tesco when I was still in a pram. I think they collected enough for a posh dinner service.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

30-07-2020, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I remember my parents dutifully collecting green shield stamps from Tesco when I was still in a pram. I think they collected enough for a posh dinner service.
Oh happy days, ripping up the strips to fill a page and then licking the gum side of them (the idea of using a wet sponge never even crossed our minds).
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

30-07-2020, 08:06 PM

Can't remember too much of the greenshield catalogues though, but I do have a vague recollection.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:19 PM

Greenshield stamps..? Oh God yes......Fold up chairs, vehicle ramps, and a trolley jack.........But I might be mixing some things up with Number 6 fag coupons......
Can't see it doing Argos any good getting rid of the catalogues though.....Nice to sit comfy at home and flick through the book. Computers are not nearly as much fun....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top