Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 01:53 AM

Re: Australian Fires

Originally Posted by summer ->
Thankyou for explaining....but surely in this case Bruce common sense should have prevailed.
...and be open to a high court challenge? If you ignore the Constitution where does it end?

The Navy is evacuating people from Mallacoota after the Victorian government requested assistance. Army Black Hawk helicopters are being brought down from Queensland to NSW.

summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 06:03 AM

Terrible happenings like this always bring out the best in communities...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 08:00 AM

Warm today on my patio.

Inside it only got up to 32.9° I used my fans.

I have to say that parts of Nowra are being threatened by the Currowan Fire, It is incredible to think how that fire has spread.

My son in Jervis Bay is cut off again with the Princes Highway closed north and south of him. He is in no danger just stuck.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020470.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	11349  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2020, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Bruce.

This article was written ten years ago.

Seems nothing was learnt.

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/g...0211-84mk.html
Thanks for the link Galty,l think it says what needs to be said?
I have read that the aboriginees used controlled burning 2000yrs
ago, long before europeans arrived and improved things?
On the positive side, there will be less to burn for a few years now!
unlike the tower blocks in UK?
Donkeyman!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 08:15 PM

I see on the Sydney weather forecast light showers expected .
I hope so
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 09:08 PM

I read not too long ago where no trees were to be felled or burnt in Australia, (a green issue). That would explain why so many houses are surrounded by tall trees, usually gum.
More of our military have gone over with firebombing aircraft, plus extra firemen.
Where is the heavy machinery for making firebreaks, either it's not there or the media are not reporting it, which I doubt.
You would think that would be the obvious course to take.
It gets quite dark and eerie here in the middle of the day with smoke. Here's a link, hope it can be opened.
https://youtu.be/mH0MUBp-pio
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2020, 11:52 PM

I have said to my son who lives in Australia, if he, his partner and baby want to come home they can have my house and l’ll move out.
I can’t stand the worry anymore. It’s not just the fires, it’s what people are inhaling.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

05-01-2020, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Isa49 ->
I read not too long ago where no trees were to be felled or burnt in Australia, (a green issue). That would explain why so many houses are surrounded by tall trees, usually gum.
That is not the case, it is a council issue for example Shoalhaven council (Nowra and south) has a rule that if the top of a tree falls with in 45° of the base of a building you can fell it without getting permission.

Wollongong council on the other hand has a tree protection policy but in practice I have not had any problem getting permission to remove trees from my properties.

I suspect what you are referring to is large scale land clearing but this is a state issue and only affect farmers. The fact remains people like bush blocks surrounded by trees.

As for heavy machinery they do use bulldozers and the like to make containment lines and fire breaks, you can be sure they are in use at this moment. For obvious reasons they can not be used on an active raging fire front.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Isa49 ->
More of our military have gone over with firebombing aircraft, plus extra firemen.
Where is the heavy machinery for making firebreaks, either it's not there or the media are not reporting it, which I doubt.
You would think that would be the obvious course to take.
It gets quite dark and eerie here in the middle of the day with smoke. Here's a link, hope it can be opened.
https://youtu.be/mH0MUBp-pio
What you say Isa is evidently true, this disaster has been brewing
for a few years now, it only took the ambient temp to rise a few
degrees after an extended drought, plus bush control policy changes
to set the scene? Too late now, ozzy can only ride it out and hope
for rain or some other natural event to save further damage!
Donkeyman!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2020, 01:07 AM

This is an unprecedented catastrophic event .
High temperatures and winds have made the previous measures to contain the fires such as firebreaks and back firing in effective .

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top