Join for free
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 02:22 AM

Faux Pas

I just discovered that the daughter of one of my close friends was responsible for the wrong photo of Lennie Henry on ITV recently.

I've known her since she was a few years old. She was a TV journalist here in Tasmania and went to work in London a few years ago for the ITV news. She was doing a story on Lennie Henry getting a knighthood and she could only find an old photo (labelled Lennie Henry) that they were allowed to use on the news and unfortunately it turned out to be Ainslie Lamb. They had thousands of calls, some quite nasty about all blacks looking alike. Her boss assured her that anyone could have made the same mistake but apparently it was in all the UK papers!

She was totally mortified but it was a genuine mistake and she was quite upset by some of the calls she received which accused her of being racist. Lennie and Ainslie were probably just amused by it.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 02:24 AM

Re: Faux Pas

We all make mistakes, she's not alone
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I just discovered that the daughter of one of my close friends was responsible for the wrong photo of Lennie Henry on ITV recently.

I've known her since she was a few years old. She was a TV journalist here in Tasmania and went to work in London a few years ago for the ITV news. She was doing a story on Lennie Henry getting a knighthood and she could only find an old photo (labelled Lennie Henry) that they were allowed to use on the news and unfortunately it turned out to be Ainslie Lamb. They had thousands of calls, some quite nasty about all blacks looking alike. Her boss assured her that anyone could have made the same mistake but apparently it was in all the UK papers!

She was totally mortified but it was a genuine mistake and she was quite upset by some of the calls she received which accused her of being racist. Lennie and Ainslie were probably just amused by it.
Sadly, you've just compounded the error .....

AFAIK, the individuals concerned were Sir Lenny Henry and Ainsley Harriott .....
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Sadly, you've just compounded the error .....

AFAIK, the individuals concerned were Sir Lenny Henry and Ainsley Harriott .....

Oh sorry. I'm in Australia and we don't get those programs so not familiar with the names. Just shows my old age I guess. Thanks for the correction.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 09:47 AM

I wouldn't blame the researcher but why wasn't it checked before air ? And these days with the Internet it can't be hard to check it's the right man surely ??
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Another one at the Miss Universe competition. Miss Columbia was announced the winner. Oops the winner in fact was Miss Philippines.

I think it's fixed, all the winners have been from planet Earth.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:27 PM

To be honest, that is a pretty serious mistake. I've ran businesses and if one of my employees made an error like that they would be on a strong verbal warning, if not a written one.

That said, she didn't deserve public ridicule and humiliation, although with it being a public news broadcast, nothing else could be expected really.
Tuppy
South East England
Tuppy is female  Tuppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 09:32 PM

Where I work ScottishCatLady you would have been issued with a 'shortfall of performance notice'. Im sure the lady concerned won't do it again after this, check, check and check again.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania

22-12-2015, 01:53 AM

It was the only mistake she's made in five years of preparing the nightly news and I guess we're all human and all make mistakes. That sort of work has to be done so quickly and always in a rush. It's the way people react to it that differs.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2015, 02:03 AM

I have a feeling Swim is about to issue me with one of those notices in another thread.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top