Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 11:46 PM

Re: Save Money when you have a Smart Meter

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
If you have solar on your roof you need a smart meter otherwise you are giving power to the electricity provider for free.
lol really?

It rather depends what "box" the power is routed through.

If you install gel batteries in your home to collect all the power during the day then that power isn't wasted and won't go to the grid. Then you have plenty of power for the evening.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 08:01 AM

I've got a smart meter...it was quite novel at first looking at ways to bring down consumption but the novelty seems to have worn off and I mainly ignore it now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
lol really?

It rather depends what "box" the power is routed through.

If you install gel batteries in your home to collect all the power during the day then that power isn't wasted and won't go to the grid. Then you have plenty of power for the evening.
Again you are showing your total ignorance of this subject. You should have stuck to your original fearmongering about the radiation danger of smart meters.

Gell batteries? what is this? the 1980s? Gell batteries are just lead acid batteries with the advantage that they do not need to be kept upright but with the disadvantage that they have restricted charging and discharge rates compared to flooded lead acid or AGM batteries.

All lead acid batteries also have the disadvantage that only half the stored power is usable (speaking very generally) without damaging the battery. Lithium batteries do not have this disadvantage.

Unfortunately batteries are just not economic at this time, the pay back time is 11+ years they are only guaranteed for 10 years or less. They are only practical for locations where mains power is not available or if you are fantastically rich.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 04:28 PM

Hi

A lovely man arrived, on time, today to fit my smart meters.

First one was the electric, he upgraded some cables, sorted other things out and installed the new meter and transmitter.

A much neater installation than the old one.

Then the problem, no signal even though both his phone and mine, which are on different networks, both worked in the cupboard.

Didn't fit the smart meter for the gas and then left.

Apparently the network provider, DCC, will have to come to sort it out at some time in the future.

Not the best start.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I've got a smart meter...it was quite novel at first looking at ways to bring down consumption but the novelty seems to have worn off and I mainly ignore it now.

I put the little meter thing in a drawer and haven't looked at it since.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2020, 03:36 PM

Are all new build houses required to be fitted with Smart Meters by the builder?

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top