Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Total Knee Replacement

I am due for a TKR later this month, and my main concern is how to cope with toileting problems following the surgery. How do people manage to sit on the toilet immediately after the op?

This may seem like a very silly question, but I have an ileostomy and need to empty the bag every couple of hours day and night. I have asked my Stoma nurse, the Physiotherapist and the Stoma facebook group, no-one seems to offer a solution. At present I sit on a stool beside the loo and empty the bag that way, but I cant see how I will be able to use the stool following surgery, particularly as my bathroom is tiny.

I have also been told that I will be unable to use my over the bath shower, nor have a bath.

I might add, I live alone, so cant expect help.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Re: Total Knee Replacement

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I am due for a TKR later this month, and my main concern is how to cope with toileting problems following the surgery. How do people manage to sit on the toilet immediately after the op?

This may seem like a very silly question, but I have an ileostomy and need to empty the bag every couple of hours day and night. I have asked my Stoma nurse, the Physiotherapist and the Stoma facebook group, no-one seems to offer a solution. At present I sit on a stool beside the loo and empty the bag that way, but I cant see how I will be able to use the stool following surgery, particularly as my bathroom is tiny.

I have also been told that I will be unable to use my over the bath shower, nor have a bath.

CeeCee darlin' - make contact with your local authority social services and get them to do a full 'occupational health visitor' assessment. There are various 'aids' that you may need to help you, for instance a raised toilet seat, a frame (with arm rests) around the toilet, & a perching stool. There are also various other 'aids' you may need to help you, but you will probably have to purchase those from:www.helpinghand.co.uk
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 03:58 PM

I have also been told that I will be unable to use my over the

bath shower, nor have a bath.

I would have thought they would insert a catheter ,
That's if you are able to have one,I've just looked it up online,and that is what it states,the nurse would do it.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I would have thought they would insert a catheter ,
That's if you are able to have one,I've just looked it up online,and that is what it states,the nurse would do it.
A catheter will not help me empty a colostomy bag. I will be in hospital for a couple of days, but it is how I will manage to get out of bed every two hours at night to empty the colostomy which is my worry. They cant catheterise that.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:09 PM

Ah right,I thought you were,talking about spending a penny,a catheter is used a lot after some operations,I've had them inserted a couple of time,..I would talk to your doctor,nurse,I'm sure they can help,if not,at least point you in the right direction.
CeeCee
UK

02-08-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Ah right,I thought you were,talking about spending a penny,a catheter is used a lot after some operations,I've had them inserted a couple of time,..I would talk to your doctor,nurse,I'm sure they can help,if not,at least point you in the right direction.
Pauline, I have tried the doctor, the physiotherapist and spent fifteen minutes on the phone to the Stoma support nurse this afternoon. All she could come up with was to use a paper cup, empty the bag into it and then dispose of it in a plastic bag! Which sounds disgusting to me. At this rate I will call the whole operation off.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 06:32 PM

A catheter will not help me empty a colostomy bag. I will be in hospital for a couple of days, but it is how I will manage to get out of bed every two hours at night to empty the colostomy which is my worry. They cant catheterise that.
Cee Cee before you sign the consent form, speak to your surgeon & explain your worries! I have a friend who has a colostomy bag and she has lots of problems dealing with it when she has other health problems, but the hospital can always find a way of dealing with them if they are aware of the problems.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

02-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Good advice Twink,don't call the operation off Cee Cee,you will benefit after it is done,as Twink said,talk to your surgeon,don't give up,we are all here for you,please let us know how you get on.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

02-08-2018, 06:53 PM

CeeCee,UJ,has given you good advice also,..we have to go down lots of avenues sometimes,to get the help we need,I am doing this myself at the moment,I am due for a major operation soon,and like you,I am sick and tired of all these hurdles,I have to step over,I want to cancel also,but if I do,I won't benefit and could pay dearly,I have had 6 blood tests,been to the Brompton,have to go back again,as something isn't right,..so chin up!..you will get there,you are not alone.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Oh, CeeCee, I really feel for you... I hope a solution emerges for you. Fingers crossed, and my wishes for a speedy recovery.

I was seen about surgery today and they're going to explore some other possibilities about what's going on in my knees. The doctor was a miracle worker though, as he said my knees were swollen and hard with fluid, possibly due to an internal infection as well as the spurs of bone growing in the joints. He asked if I was OK with him draining the fluid and I said I couldn't wait. So, he banged a couple of 3" needles in each knee joint, draining about 200ml of fluid - I could see my knees deflate! It was incredible!!! The right knee had a lot of blood in it, sadly, so that's been sent off for tests. I got quite a lot of painkiller and steroids in the joints and the relief was incredible...

So, while I have to wait for more tests I am a happy lad. The pain has dropped to less than 2 out of 10, even allowing for the discomfort of the injections. If anyone needs fluid extracted, honestly, give it a go.

The doctor mentioned doing the injections myself at home at some point in the future, and I presume he means the painkillers/steroids rather than withdrawing fluids, but I think it's beyond me. I'm not bothered by needles, being a diabetic, but the needles need to go in the side of my knees, straight into the actual joint. I don't think I can see the sides of my knees well enough to put a 3" needle into exactly the right spot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top