Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Re: Why is the United States so violent?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That can't be the cause though because there are many other countries with far higher homicide death rates. It is just that you don't see the fuss made about them.
Who manufactures the guns used in most of these places Bruce? I suspect that either America or Russia finance these wars, as they do in the Middle East. The indigenous people are just pawns in mighty game of chess....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But you can't compare their stats with ours like for like. You need to look at percentages. No doubt the comparison is still shocking but that's only because we have idealistic assumptions about humans.
That picture I put up was representing percentages of population in the form of homicides per million people. It showed that the US homicide rate was less than 30 per million residents averaged over a 5 year period
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 12:02 PM

I walked alone on Fisherman's Warf in San Francesco...at 11pm. I walked alone in Time's Square, New York City during the middle of the night. I travelled China Town in all the big cities.....and I didn't feel the least bit intimidated....I was in Vegas many times and walked the strip during the night...not at all worried about anything......

But Toronto, that's another story.....!!!
I live in the Greater Toronto Area (meaning the outskirts, Oakville area), and I am terrified to go out at night.....(in downtown Toronto)..it is so dangerous......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I walked alone on Fisherman's Warf in San Francesco...at 11pm. I walked alone in Time's Square, New York City during the middle of the night. I travelled China Town in all the big cities.....and I didn't feel the least bit intimidated....I was in Vegas many times and walked the strip during the night...not at all worried about anything......

I live in the Greater Toronto Area (meaning the outskirts, Oakville area), and I am terrified to go out at night.....(in downtown Toronto)..it is so dangerous......
I wonder if that's a symptom of knowing too much about a place, I've walked along in areas of this country only to be told just one street away a crime was taking place and all the locals know to avoid the area.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I wonder if that's a symptom of knowing too much about a place, I've walked along in areas of this country only to be told just one street away a crime was taking place and all the locals know to avoid the area.
I think you are right Julie...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->

Have done the same over a number of years.

Mainly in LV no fear even with jet lag that I walk the streets at 4am in the morning.

Never been to Chicago but their murder rate is horrific (80 gun victims in one weekend)compared to the rest of America it seems is political as the Major stopped the police investing Gangs who would vote Democrat and been exposed he will not be standing for re election.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

19-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Have done the same over a number of years.

Mainly in LV no fear even with jet lag that I walk the streets at 4am in the morning.

Never been to Chicago but their murder rate is horrific (80 gun victims in one weekend)compared to the rest of America it seems is political as the Major stopped the police investing Gangs who would vote Democrat and been exposed he will not be standing for re election.
Yes, me too in LV.....I never saw a policeman there and I was there at least 7 times. Seems there is not much crime there......

I'd be willing to bet Chicago is the most dangerous city in the USA. I must google that........
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

19-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Well I am wrong, it is St Louis......that surprises me.

Here’s a look at the top ten most dangerous cities in America:

St. Louis
Memphis
Little Rock
Springfield
Albuquerque
Oakland
Chattanooga
Pueblo
Baltimore
Anchorage

You might be thinking to yourself at this point — where’s Chicago?? Isn’t that some kind of post-apocalyptic, world war 3 type city? Well, it actually ranks as the 62nd most dangerous with a pretty normal overall crime rate.

And while these places are some of the most dangerous in America, you have to remember America is a safe place to live relative to the rest of the world. Be glad you don’t live in Caracas, Venezuela where the murder rate is 2x higher than any US City
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->
i wonder if that's a symptom of knowing too much about a place, i've walked along in areas of this country only to be told just one street away a crime was taking place and all the locals know to avoid the area.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree with that Julie, I've walked in places at all hours of the day and night, that I wouldn't possibly do at home....

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top