Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 12:05 PM

Re: How Fireproof is your Plan?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's true and we seem to be getting more and more in Britain too.
The 1967 and 2013 fires in Tasmania show that given the right conditions Britain will not be immune. Dry weather, high winds and a lightning strike are all it takes. I think it was 120000Ha burnt in 2013 perhaps 100 properties (can't remember exactly) and one death
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 11:12 PM

That's true and we seem to be getting more and more in Britain too.
Indeed - look at the fire on Saddleworth Moor this Summer - took over three weeks to put it out. No comparison with what the Aussies have to face - but unusually bad for UK.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:35 AM

I live in a four storey house converted into separate flats. We have an integrated fire alarm system that when 'triggered' is 'loud enough to wake the dead' (135Db). TThere is no reason to have any further plan than that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I live in a four storey house converted into separate flats. We have an integrated fire alarm system that when 'triggered' is 'loud enough to wake the dead' (135Db). TThere is no reason to have any further plan than that.
I bet that's worrying when using the toaster.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:23 AM

I bet that's worrying when using the toaster.

I'm not the one to trigger it - ventilation in the kitchen on the top floor is not that good and the tenants there are forever trigering the alarm.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I'm not the one to trigger it - ventilation in the kitchen on the top floor is not that good and the tenants there are forever trigering the alarm.
Let's hope they don't make toast at 4am.

My smoke alarms are often triggered by the toaster and even opening the oven door, luckily it only affects us.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Good post, Bruce.

We have the same issues with people who don't plan for hurricane evacuation.

My dad always made me promise to never stay on a hotel floor above the 6th floor. Most fire truck ladders are 100 ft long, but that is only straight up. The phrase "seventh heaven" is a good one to remember, because at that height or above, one might well be headed there in the event of a conflagration.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 07:33 PM

I don't have any plan I live in a bungalow so have no fear of getting out and in soggy old Wiltshire fires are not really a problem .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top