Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Re: Remainers March in London

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it doesn't matter what people voted. Because when people voted they did not consider the Irish border problem. (someone tell me I'm wrong - please!) I don't know of anyone who saw that as a major stumbling block.
The Leader of the Opposition, Jeremy Corbyn, has previously indicated that he would like to
see the UK adopting a similar model to that of Norway. In a speech at Bloomberg in September
2016, Mr Corbyn stated that his party were:
Looking very closely at the Norwegian model […] not using their model, it’s learning
the lessons from Norway. Maybe we can learn a lot from Norway.49
Mark Stanford, a Teaching Fellow at King’s College London, has argued that the Norway model
was the UK’s “best hope for maintaining a United Kingdom”, with continued free movement of
people ensuring that the Common Travel Area (CTA) could continue to exist without border
checkpoints.(in the Telegraph june 2016)
The CTA is an open borders travel zone between Ireland and the United
Kingdom—including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man—and has been in operation since
the 1920s.51 Mr Stanford also warned that now that the UK has voted to leave the EU, the Government had the “chance to articulate a new vision for Britain’s role in the world”,
however, “the EEA must be central to this vision”
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:34 PM

They keep saying they want a peoples vote but what did they think the referendum was or do only some people count and us leavers not count at all ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Some of the marchers had no sense of irony as some of their banners proclaimed that they wanted a democratic vote. Didn't we have one of those two years ago?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Some of the marchers had no sense of irony as some of their banners proclaimed that they wanted a democratic vote. Didn't we have one of those two years ago?
I'm in two minds about this. Of course the referendum was a democratic choice, and should and will be executed.
It is no less democratic to want to have a say on the deal. But what kind of choice that will be? After May, or her replacement, have agreed on terms of a deal, it is highly unpractical if her citizens can disagree at that stage. In reality by then the choice is between leaving with the proposed deal or leaving without a deal
A no deal situation is the worst completion of the brexit. So it is about time May sheds some light on her actions.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 01:57 AM

I suppose Cameron will go down in history as the man that finally 'broke' the UK. The Brexit Plebiscite was an ill considered move by Cameron with no thought given to the outcome just a short term political fix to an immediate difficulty. I doubt history will be kind to him.

Sure Brexit was a democratic vote and the leavers won but it wasn't a decisive victory, to all intents and purposes it was a split decision with only 1 or 2% deciding the outcome. There should have been a more decisive outcome needed for such an important decision (for example a threshold of, say, 60%).

Just observing the vitriol in these pages shows something seriously wrong with society in the UK (a rot set it train by Thatcher in my opinion).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 07:19 AM

If a couple of dozen folk, round a table, can't come to a satisfactory deal, what chance several million other folk, being happy with any particular outcome?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 08:18 AM

700,000 protesters demanding a second referendum on the 'final deal' is not an affront to democracy!!!

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8593771.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-vote-cartoon
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 08:34 AM

I wish we had never been given the choice.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I wish we had never been given the choice.

We should have been given the option to join in 1971, but typical arrogant, ignorant scumbag 'nasty party' politicians, thought they knew it all.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Wish I had your crystal ball to be able to see into the future!

By the way, how about aiming your usual insults at one of your own, remember him? the man who dropped off the face of the planet after the result? that's right, one David Cameron. The same man who of course gave both sides of the argument for remaining and leaving in a transparent a way as any responsible Prime Minister and his government would have done. Oh dear, how quickly you forget. He spent 9 million pounds of taxpayers money sending his shiny Remain propaganda leaflet to every household in the country, instructed Jeremy Heywood to send a memo to the civil service to only cooperate with memo's and speeches in remainers favour, and even stooped low enough to use the sad death of Jo Cox MP, to gain more votes. All of which descended into a complete farce. The idiot was so convinced of a remain win he had made no plans at all for a leave vote.

So next time you aim your nasty barbs at Leavers, just remember, that although in our hearts we knew we were up against the crooked Government, a useless Prime Minister, the political elite, the London Luvvies and all the sheep who faithfully followed them, yes, you! remember that Leavers were just as surprised as you were with your horror at our wonderful win.

Just goes to show you that there were millions out there who were not fooled for a moment at the crap that was being spewed out by the Remain side back then, and I can guess that quite a few have joined us since finding out.
Wonderful post!!!!!

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top