Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:22 PM

Is there always one friend who keeps in contact?

I'm very bad at keeping in touch with old friends.

However, I do have two friends, one from the 1960s and another from more recently, who will call, or visit, at least once a year, sometimes more often.

They are happy to come round for any family wedding, or funeral, and they love to talk about old times.

I wish I was like that - but, for some reason, I never pick up the phone!

Is it because I have it all "in my family"?

I'd like to be better at it - but despite my thoughts, I never do it.

But the phone will ring, maybe tomorrow, and I'll apologise again....!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Re: Is there always one friend who keeps in contact?

Well, I have kept in contact with my friends, but yes sometimes I let too much time pass. I had my handbag snatched a few years back and lost contact with a school friend, but I guess she is on Fakebook. I just let things slip.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 11:03 PM

I has a particular friend who was awful at keeping in touch. Tony & I used to go out with her & her husband quite a bit but it was always me who phoned them first.

Then they moved 200 miles away and phone calls were few & far between. They didn't return a couple of my calls so I stopped bothering.

I only get a card at Christmas now with a few scribbled words but that's alright because that's all they get from me.

They are loners who don't really need friends - just each other. Goodness knows how it will be if one of them dies. They haven't got much family - only an estranged daughter & a son in France.. It's a lonely life without friends..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 11:13 PM

I am still in touch and meet frequently with a friend I first met when I was 2yrs old. She is a bit older than me - but young at at heart - and has a wonderful husband.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:43 AM

Too many have recently passed away or lost contact with. Supposed that comes with getting older
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Too many have recently passed away or lost contact with. Supposed that comes with getting older
Omg, that is sad.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 07:00 AM

When old pals turn up, out of the blue, they usually just want you to help them do a Jigsaw.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
When old pals turn up, out of the blue, they usually just want you to help them do a Jigsaw.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 08:04 AM

Im off to a funeral on Thursday and I'm feeling so sad that I sort of lost touch with the pal who died , apart from Christmas cards and the odd message here and there I hadn't seen him personally for 12 years.

I was so sad to get a message from his wife telling me he had died and how he had often mentioned me

Problem was they moved to Kirklees and our paths rarely crossed but I'm feeling I should have made the effort....oh well no point getting maudlin about it now.

Pals are precious we should never take them for granted.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 08:22 AM

I remember many people who once we're friends but I've lost touch with them. I find people who have family near tend not to remain in contact as they have their companionship . There are some who never made the contact unless I instigated a meet up or invite so I let them drop as I feel real friendship is both ways .

I've just had a friend stay overnight , we met 34 yrs ago , over the years we lost contact often not speaking for years , we've reconnected again which is nice , our children all grown up and we are older yet we talk for hours .

I must confess that as I get older I'm more of a loner , I think I'm just used to being on my own

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top