Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 01:37 PM

iMac problem

I have 2 iMacs.
My current one is almost 4 years old and after the start up chime, I'm getting a grey screen (with the logo). In other words, it's not working.

Tried my old one (2006) and that's not connecting either.
It was fine last time I used it, which was probably last year.

It seems very odd that both of them have a problem.

Followed some online instructions (disconnecting the peripherals etc.) and ended up trying 'reset NVRAM' on my current one.

No luck ... any idea ?

thanks
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2015, 05:01 PM

Re: iMac problem

Want me to get a cheap computer for you - cheap like?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:37 PM

I was about to ask, what about asking the resident IT expert?!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:44 PM

It needs a new hard drive !

Disgusting. We bought it just 6 months before OH died, which makes it 3 and a half years old.
I'm sincerely hoping the data will be recovered by a recovery place but they won't get the hard drive until Tuesday now .... poooooooooooo
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Oh poo indeed!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I was about to ask, what about asking the resident IT expert?!
I told her what to do with it ages ago - throw it out of the window and get a puter innit.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

16-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I told her what to do with it ages ago - throw it out of the window and get a puter innit.
Anything other than a Mac, if I remember correctly.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

16-01-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
About a year ago I think?

Anything other than a Mac, if I remember correctly.
A three and a half year old iMac should def not have had any problems.
OH died 3 years ago and I've only used this iMac for my photo restores, emails, family history and chatting ... the previous one, we bought in 2006 when OH worked from home.

Can't see how my usage has zapped the hard drive

Trying to use a PC for now. An alien country for me
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

17-01-2015, 10:10 AM

I know, it's annoying when things fail for no apparent reason. You've just been unlucky I suppose.

My desktop seems to have played up since I bought it, but as I ordered it, to my spec, online, maybe I've got a dud un? I went on to Dell website, and ticked what I wanted. It's Vista, with a tv tuner card, a decent hard drive but only 3gb RAM. I keep meaning to see if buying more memory would help, and I'd love to know how to clear out processes, but I'm not that pooter lit. Absolutely sick and tired of sometimes waiting an hour for it to come to life.

My lap top is W7 and works beautifully, never any problem.

Got my eye on an Asus touch screen, with tv tuner, but W8 and over £600.

Maybe when the car is sorted (after its MOT service, and all expenses in February) I may find myself ordering it.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

17-01-2015, 10:17 AM

I know, it's annoying when things fail for no apparent reason. You've just been unlucky I suppose.

ANNOYING ????? it feels as if my whole life has gone down the pan.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top