Join for free
Page 26 of 26 « First < 16 24 25 26
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2016, 12:11 AM

Re: Windows 10

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
No problems with windows 10 after 48 hours of use except that the fan on the laptop has been running flat out ever since i upgraded. Very strange!
Windows 10's default settings may require adjustment - for example, some functions which are monitoring your activity can be turned off and so can Wi-Fi Sense.

Also, your PC may be acting as a "server" of Windows Updates to other PC's on the internet.

I have adjusted all my settings as advised and have never had a fan problem, either on my ex-Windows 7 laptop or my ex-Windows 8.1 desktop.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/...r-privacy.html
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2016, 01:38 PM

That's a useful article Omah thanks, I will bookmark it for the time when I am eventually forced to go to Windows 10. I already do some of the recommendations in Win 7 such as blocking the webcam.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2016, 05:21 PM

A more recent article with additional tips:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-sys...ow-to-fix-them

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2016, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A more recent article with additional tips:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-sys...ow-to-fix-them

Useful stuff. Thank you.
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 01:01 PM

I posted earlier (#182) about difficulties upgrading my Novatech laptop to Win10. I have upgraded a Fujitsu machine, and the main benefit is a considerable increase in speed of boot up and general running, so I was keen to do the Novatech. After numerous attempts resulting in a blank screen and the need to reload 7 from scratch, I have finally established that the BIOS of the Pegatron A15A motherboard is not compatible with Win10, which explains my problems. There is a way to update the BIOS, but it can't be done in Windows, as it is in use. It Involves burning a bootable USB drive with the new BIOS installed, and some complicated command line stuff, so I have decided to abandon the idea of upgrading this machine. If you make a mistake in any of the command line script, you can screw up the BIOS altogether, which then requires paying money to some Guru to fix it. The moral is that not all systems are compatible with Win 10, and the installation precheck done at the beginning of upgrade won't necessarily detect the incompatibility.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Seadog ->
the main benefit is a considerable increase in speed of boot up and general running
Poor reason to upgrade to !in 10 imo. Every laptop or PC I have ever had, with a freshly installed Windows OS has booted up and run swiftly. Over time that all starts to degrade as you load more and more software and take on updates etc.

A cynic might well ask, "why is Microsoft pushing Win 10 out so hard and aggressively when the OS is not compatible with lots of hardware out there?"

As a minimum you would think that all the hardware that Win 7 and 8 could run happily on, they would make sure Win 10 also worked.

Far more going on here than people realise.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Seadog ->
I have upgraded a Fujitsu machine [to Windows 10], and the main benefit is a considerable increase in speed of boot up and general running
Yes, I remember reading an explanation for that from someone on here. Apparently, Windows 10 keeps a small component (a kernel? Sounds nuts!) running when the computer is turned off so that the start-up is much quicker. I suppose it must be some sort of 'hibernation'.

On the other hand, I should imagine that doing so might still require some use of the battery and, perhaps over a couple of weeks (say, whilst away on holiday), the battery could be substantially drained. I don't know, but I suppose I'll find out when we go away later this year.

Page 26 of 26 « First < 16 24 25 26

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top