Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Computer Viruses

I've never had one before but a few weeks ago I did for the first time.

I was reading posts on Dogsey when my screen suddenly froze and I couldn't do anything so I switched off my notebook at the wall and when I switched it on and went Online again a pop up came up saying 'You've Been Infected', click on here to get it fixed, well I clicked on it and that's when I got it. After that I couldn't do anything on my notebook, it kept coming up wanting a password and Username and wouldn't let me surf the net at all.

Anyway I took it into a local computer shop, I left it with them for 3 days and they sorted if for me to the expense of £128 including a £25 Norton Anti Virus Security (I did have one originally but they got rid of that one). So my notebook is now virus free again and works a treat.

Be careful all of you, if something unknown comes up asking you to click on it to fix a virus - DONT!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Re: Computer Viruses

Nice to have you back Alicat!

One of the best things you can do is use an alternative web browser like www.opera.com or google Chrome or Firefox (all are free) - they offer much better protection than IE.

Secondly, never click on anything that says 'click here you have a virus' - unless it's your anti-virus program asking you.

Why did the computer shop make you buy another anti-virus program if you already had one?
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks for you're welcome back Azz.

I think they took off the old security as a few days before it happened I had a notice come up saying my security had been switched off, so whether whoever it was managed to switch off my Internet Security I don't know.

I know you've mentioned several times about Opera and Google Chrome, I'm just not that experienced to download them, I always have problems.
mickypoppins
Colchester, uk
mickypoppins is female  mickypoppins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2010, 07:45 PM

If anything ever happens that is out of the ordinary on my pc I immediately crash it and the modem. Then when you boot up again, if there is anything wrong your computer is working on the last time you closed down and anything lost in the crash stays lost (I do have anti virus too)
Alicat
West Berkshire

25-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mickypoppins ->
If anything ever happens that is out of the ordinary on my pc I immediately crash it and the modem. Then when you boot up again, if there is anything wrong your computer is working on the last time you closed down and anything lost in the crash stays lost (I do have anti virus too)
How do you crash it and the modem mickypoppins? Sorry if I seem a bit thick.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
Thanks for you're welcome back Azz.

I think they took off the old security as a few days before it happened I had a notice come up saying my security had been switched off, so whether whoever it was managed to switch off my Internet Security I don't know.

I know you've mentioned several times about Opera and Google Chrome, I'm just not that experienced to download them, I always have problems.
I had IE, and was nervous about downloading Firefox, but it was actually easier than I feared, and so so much better!

Mac isn't very virus prone but a while back I got one of those "Your computer has been infected" messages and promptly logged off, It was gone when I came back.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Never, never ,never . . . . click on any message that comes up on your monitor . . . . it's an invitation to disaster.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 07:57 AM

A different browser might have stopped the malware installing. Internet Explorer uses something called 'ActiveX'. This allows web sites to make changes to (or control) your computer. 'Windows Update' or 'on-line virus scans' are examples of good purposes that ActiveX is intended for. However, it can also be used for malicious purposes. With IE8, even that isn't quite so likely without a warning being given and some interaction being required from the user.

A different browser might have stopped that malware but there is no guarantee that it would have done. I don't think any browser will provide protection if the user gives definite permission for malware to install by way of a mouse-click. The trick comes in recognising what link might lead to the installation of malware. That's not always easy or even possible though. Malicious code can execute by just visiting an infected web page. These pages might not be on dodgy sites but also found on quite ordinary looking ones. This method of infection is known as 'drive-by malware'. All browsers can have vulnerabilities to such things and this is why security patches are constantly being issued.

If it's any consolation, you may have been infected even before you clicked on that 'click here' message but it took a reboot and the click to make the virus fully operational.

If infected, you have to hope the installed security software can take care of it. Norton is as good at that as any other reputable program. Lots of people don't like Norton but I think it's good. However, no anti-virus program has a 100% protection record. It's therefore best to have other security programs installed as well. Then, if one program doesn't detect or clear the malware, another one might. Two popular security programs are the free versions of Malwrebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

The trouble is that, once the computer is infected, it can be difficult for any program to remove entirely. I often read of people formatting the problem away and starting again with a new installation. Stopping the infection happening in the first place is much better (and less expensive) than trying to clear up after the event. Anti-virus programs can help but, as said, none have a 100% detection rate or virus-clearing capability.

A good protection I've always promoted is something known as 'sandboxing'. This is where all browsing activity is isolated from the computer system. If anything nasty is picked up while browsing, it will not be able to get out of the sandbox. The sandbox's job is not to detect malware but to keep it contained within the walls of the sandbox where it cannot infect the computer. Removing the effects of malware is simply done by emptying the sandbox. This method of protection is better than any other because, unlike anti-virus programs, it doesn't rely on known virus actions or detecting unusual computer behaviour. The sandbox doesn't trust anything and so keeps all browsing activity/downloads isolated from the main computer system. I wouldn't go anywhere using any browser without the protection of Sandboxie (can be used free but has a nag screen after 30 days).
mickypoppins
Colchester, uk
mickypoppins is female  mickypoppins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Hi Alicat

Easy to crash it - Just turn the plugs off at the mains!!
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2010, 05:43 PM

I've been at this internet thing since before the World Wide Web was invented. I've used many commercial virus software suites including McAfee & Norton. To me their virus protection software is worse than the virus. I finally found a really good piece of virus protection software from AVG that simply sits in the background and protects you. The best feature of AVG is that it's totally free. It's avilable from www.download.com or any other freeware/shareware provider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top