Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 06:41 PM

Huge Portions

We've just got back from a visit to Devon and I actually had a problem over food down there.

It's not just a Devon thing as I've noticed this everywhere now and that's portion sizes.

Why do cafés, bars and fast-food outlets pile so much food on your plate these days?

Everywhere we went in Devon even something you'd expect to be just a light snack has morphed into a plateful.

In Barnstaple we stopped at a place that actually had "Sandwiches" on offer so we went in there.

I went for a vegetarian "wrap" as I honestly expected it to be a light snack.

What I got was an enormous Taco cut in half and for some odd reason skewered back together on a huge bed of chips!

This would feed a family in some countries.

My wife and I both left over 50% of what we'd been served yet our son, daughter-in-law and grandson happily ate EVERYTHING on their plates, and they had these gourmet burgers thingies that have several layers!

Everyone in the place had a scale model of the Matterhorn to eat but nobody batted an eyelid!

Last night, at a pub which impressed us last time we found the menu now consisted of Burgers or huge platters of meat and chips, often served up over-done or burnt on a lump of wood and they seem to think that this is an improvement on the menu they used to have.

To me it isn't, it's unhealthy garbage but you get this everywhere now.

Maybe I'm just too picky but I'm very careful about what I eat and I simply cannot stuff huge portions down my throat as it just makes me sick - that happened on Friday night and I felt just awful because I was so upset and embarrassed by that, even if it was only immediate family.

They'd served up an enormous Chinese meal which I simply could not eat and, for several reasons, I felt violently sick and had to make a rapid exit to the loo.

I know I'm going through a few things at the moment and I'm trying to improve my health too but I'm not a borderline anorexic and I simply cannot eat the quantities that are being placed in front of me with the salutation "Enjoy" because I bloody don't!

Is it just me? stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Re: Huge Portions

No, not just you! When we're out for a meal or even a snack the portions are mega, my OH always says 'don't they have something smaller' or 'I only want a small packet of whatever'. I keep telling him they don't do small anymore, we have to have what's on offer and leave some - I hate waste, too, so that really bugs me!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 08:59 PM

I find portion sizes are oversized also....if im out and have far too much in my meal if its doable then I ask to have the remainder bagged up so that I can take it home. Well ive paid for it so why not!! I dont feel embarassed by asking either.

Ive found most places are only too happy to bag stuff left over up for me to take home with me.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=stevmk2;869841]

.......Everyone in the place had a scale model of the Matterhorn to eat but nobody batted an eyelid!

That had me in stitches

Daft isn't it? Not long ago you had barely anything on your plate just full of artistic swirls and nothing else and now the opposite with huge portions.

I was going to say ask for a doggie bag (whether you've got one or not), but Aysa beat me too it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 10:32 PM

It's a bit of a balance isn't it. I have stayed at some nice hotels where the breakfast was too small (and not cheap) and had snacks the size of a full meal. America is the place for large meals of course where they pile pancakes on your breakfast plate whether you want them or not. I suppose if they give you too much, at least they are not ripping you off.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 11:57 PM

We have the same problem but a lot of pensioner couples order one meal and a plate and put half on the other plate. Problem solved.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 12:01 AM

A good idea.

I hate it when I order nasty fast food and they spoil it by adding a plateful of salad.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We have the same problem but a lot of pensioner couples order one meal and a plate and put half on the other plate. Problem solved.
Good idea Bruce...I sometimes order a single plate of chips if im out with my sons and we share them as the portion size is just ridiculously large for one person..
While on holiday once it was "up north" everywhere had soup and a sandwich on sale ,why????
Cant one just have soup OR a sandwich? Why Both? In my view soup AND a sandwich is just being a pig and not necessary
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:14 AM

As you probably realise Sheila and I eat out at least once a week andvery often I fail to clear my plate. I've also noticed that some pubs have a section in the menu 'For the smaller appetite' which we usually go for if available.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 08:27 AM

Not a problem I've encountered - I have very little difficulty clearing my plate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top