Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 06:20 PM

I didn't know about this - TV on the web

I am an absolute nitwit when it comes to anything technological and am a bit wary about having a go at some things, BUT I have just discovered that I can get all the Sky TV programmes through my laptop. I was signing on for the first time to the on-line account management for Sky and saw that I could watch TV online Sky Player. Its brilliant - now I can just go off and watch what I want and not have to look at the Sports channels with him indoors. All I need to do is get a modern flat screened telly and hook it up to my laptop for a better picture (Ithink) and then it will be like having Sky multi-room. I am chuffed.

Am I the only one who didn't realise this.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Re: I didn't know about this - TV on the web

What a treat! To think it was there all the time too. Like having a present?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Nice one

I did know it was there - but the quality was too compressed when I used it, is it better now?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2010, 11:09 PM

I'll have to check that out!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:08 AM

I thought the quality was OK Azz - its just that on a laptop the picture is quite small and I can't get it to fill the screen. It's not as good as on a full size proper television. We do need a new small TV for upstairs and so I am going to get a 22" flatscreen one and try it hooked up on that. One thing I have thought though is that because it comes to my laptop through the wireless broadband, it will make a difference to the broadband usage if I watch a lot (I think). I am on unlimited broadband, but there is a clause which says "reasonable usage". I have never known what "reasonable usage" actually means.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Aw well done! I never use my laptop.

Hope you continue to enjoy the programs on your laptop!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2010, 12:11 PM

You can also get the other TV services free -
there`s bbc iplayer
itv player
and channel 4 OD.

I watch a lot of stuff on the pc because i can watch it when i want to.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

06-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Thank you C & D. I knew about the BBC I-player, but not the others and I was surprised when I found the Sky channels. I would have thought I would have to pay extra for it, like you do with muti-room. Mind you, the number of programmes I make a note to watch and then forget about. I can't seem to sit still to watch much TV. Memory like a sieve as well.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Don't forget www.hulu.com for movies & tv and www.pandora.com for free music.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

12-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Thank you Bobmielke. I maybe OK with the hulu but the pandora says it is not available outside the USA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top