Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 05:12 PM

Genealogy

I cannot remember if we have discussed this already - but Graculus' recent post about old newspaper stories has inspired me to ask - is anyone else researching their family tree?

I began sometime ago and am back to 1730's with my father's lot. Mother's tree is more difficult because she was Irish and some (a lot !) of their records were destroyed in the 'troubles' in 1916. Am back to 1760's so far.

I subscribe to Find My Past - because they seem to have the best Newspaper resources - easy to search and to read. I also subscribe to Ancestry.com - a very useful and informative site. Sometimes they drive me crazy with their 'helpful hints' who usually turn out to be some obscure person in america and nothing whatever to do with my tree - but - today I wandered in there, found yet another leaf waving at me and it was a genuine one. My paternal great, grt, grt, grandmother no less and the record they had found, from 1820, was a PRISON one!! Eeek !!

Had to follow that up and was taken to an entry in a Dorset
prison admittance record book. This naughty person was arrested for assault, fined £5 and imprisoned for 1 x month. I am now desperately trying to find out more. FMP have let me down so far - but surely it would have been in the papers? A 40+ woman assaulting someone was not an everyday occurrance in 1820 - or was it? I did find a later report of someone with same surname (may be a relative) who was arrested for stealing two black dresses from a pawnbroker !!
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 05:30 PM

Re: Genealogy

Ancestry is probably the best place to track down people, and in certain instances documents relating to criminal cases. FMP, on the other hand, is best for newspapers, but it's people search is horrible, in fact it's just about useless. You might be lucky with a search in the newspapers from 1820 on FMP. It helps if you know the month or exact date. It depends on the case. Some (such as the one I've been posting) were reported widely throughout the country, whilst others only merit a line or two in the 'local' (and there weren't many) newspapers. I have a couple of cases, one is the capture of a notorious local poacher, where I can't find anything in the papers at all, despite knowing the exact date. It's odd because he and his brother's exploits were widely reported, not just in the Yorkshire papers, but also as far away as London.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 06:07 PM

I started out round about 11 year ago on Ancestry,my daughter asked me to take over cause she was busy with children .
I got hooked on finding every little detail on each family member in the Tree going back to 1838,
Ive shared some of what ive found on another forum which is Private , .
Some of the Newspaper articles have come as a surprise to me , some i know from family stories passed down .
Ive lots of Tragedies, Criminals,and who would have believed it stories .
I print everything I find off and have recently started to put in individual folders .
Ive even did Volantary Transcribing for a site for a good while for them to put on the internet free of charge .
Ive been to Archives and handled + searched the 1800s crime books , I didnt like looking at microfiche though .So not a lot of research has been done in that way .
Ive also been on Deceased online , that threw up a few surprises .

I joined FMP a couple of year ago when i wanted to find something in the 1800s papers and that is where ive found a lot of my History .

Ive quite a collection of Certs , which all adds to filling in where they were born and died , and what they died of .

I just lose myself in FMP,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 06:16 PM

It certainly does become addictive!

My mother's family were what I suppose one would call 'upper or upper middle class' and my searches of her tree have thrown up Nuns, Priests, Authors, Poets, Civil engineers and a Canon of the Catholic Church.

My father's roots are firmly 'working class' and. or so I thought, all 'salt of the earth' types - now I am not so sure! LOL! Have to find out more - I am hooked again.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 06:19 PM

My husband's been looking at his family tree. So far he's gone back on his mother's side as far as 1588, which is pretty impressive.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

07-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
My husband's been looking at his family tree. So far he's gone back on his mother's side as far as 1588, which is pretty impressive.
Wow! That certainly is impressive. Has he managed to find provenances for all of them? Records were not so clear or so well cared for back then. Anyone exciting turned up?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 08:49 PM

I wanted to do this Tabby, but needed someone to start me off, so I went on a 6 week course to learn how to start the research.
It was both good & bad doing the course, because there were quite a few of us there, and everyone was wanting help.
I could have done with a bit more one-to-one really, because I didn't understand about accessing information properly.

I too, had a bit of difficulty on Dad's side because he had Irish relatives too.

I did find out some important personal stuff I had wanted to know though, and it was worth doing for that reason alone. I'd love to do more though.
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
That beats me. I've only managed to get it back to 1708 on my mother's side of the family.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 09:12 PM

I've been very lucky ... on Mr M's side I've got back to 1480 and could perhaps get back a little earlier except I've got stumped by latin wills.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2016, 10:06 PM

Had a quick look, you have to be specific on dates, ain't got time for that, you pay a subscription, that should entitle you to be lazy.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top