Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 02:31 PM

Re: Disable Windows 10 Updates

I completely agree about the advantages of Windows 7, but you try finding a new computer now with W7 installed.

Even if you already have a computer running W7, beware! I have, and turned it on one day to find that suddenly it was running W10. Granted, I had gone off for a few minutes, so might have missed some message or other, but it says to me that Microsoft's attitude is that, one way or another, we will all have W10 whether we like it or not.

Having said all that, I find that W10 is perfectly usable, but I cannot see anything of any real importance that it does that W7 couldn't.

Some time ago, I did do what the OP suggested and disabled Windows Update using that method. I seem to remember that, somehow, after a few weeks it turned itself back on again. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I have disabled it again and will keep an eye on it.

I am not averse to the concept of Windows Update. When on W7, I was happy to use it. However, if and when Microsoft decide to bring back the W7 option of offering updates and giving the user the option to install or delete, I think I'll refuse to hand over control to them of my computer.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 03:50 PM

Read all of the above...WOW! and people knock Apple?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Read all of the above...WOW! and people knock Apple?
For years Apple was able to keep its Computers separate from the main line Windows style PCs.

Luckily for them, the Hackers, Scammers & Virus traders left them alone - possibly because most colleges and Universities (where I suspect the early hacker learned his skills) take the inexpensive (Windows) option and they can cut their teeth on that.

Also luckily for them most Companies would also build their computing around the windows model - so the training fits the big target.

All that is changing now as more and more people want to use applications which can fit in with both Platforms.

I don't bother knocking Apple - but I'm happy that I can buy two systems for the price of one of theirs.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 08:56 PM

I have just bought a anew laptop with W10 pre-loaded. When W10 came out I took the free upgrade and put it in my old lappy.
What I am not sure about is which updates to accept. I do not understand the language/terminology and so have no idea. This new lappy asks me which ones I want to download and I daren't put them on so I tell it to ask me in a month, but I can't do that forever. I like W10 but I do wish that if they want to put updates on - ones which are beneficial - they will just do it without asking me.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I have just bought a anew laptop with W10 pre-loaded. When W10 came out I took the free upgrade and put it in my old lappy.
What I am not sure about is which updates to accept. I do not understand the language/terminology and so have no idea. This new lappy asks me which ones I want to download and I daren't put them on so I tell it to ask me in a month, but I can't do that forever. I like W10 but I do wish that if they want to put updates on - ones which are beneficial - they will just do it without asking me.
How many updates is it offering you, Aerolor?

Is your upgraded version of W10 working OK?
Did you upgrade it from W7 or W8?
If you didn't do a clean install it would be relatively easy to go back to W7 or W8 , in the event that the updates cause a problem, as that is the fall back arrangement.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't know about that. Until I disabled it, my Windows Update just went ahead and installed everything that Microsoft threw at it.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 11:12 PM

Just spotted this on the Beeb re Windows 10 updates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39152770
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't know about that. Until I disabled it, my Windows Update just went ahead and installed everything that Microsoft threw at it.
That's the key point JBR. You machine went from W7 to W10 because you have Windows Updates enabled. Unless you disable updates completely MS will eventually win.

Now that you've allowed it to happen though, you will have a specific update already installed on your machine so whatever you do, it will keep trying to upgrade to W10. You HAVE to delete that specific update to stop this, which takes just a few seconds to do. The previous W10 threads on the forum tell you which update needs deleting and how to do it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-03-2017, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Just spotted this on the Beeb re Windows 10 updates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39152770
Well a small step in the right direction, I suppose, but nothing like what some of use want.

Perhaps one day Microsoft will begin to see sense and restore the Windows Update system to that of Windows 7: updates are announced and whether you want to download them, and then install them, is up to you.

It worked perfectly well in Windows 7 anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

03-03-2017, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That's the key point JBR. You machine went from W7 to W10 because you have Windows Updates enabled. Unless you disable updates completely MS will eventually win.

Now that you've allowed it to happen though, you will have a specific update already installed on your machine so whatever you do, it will keep trying to upgrade to W10. You HAVE to delete that specific update to stop this, which takes just a few seconds to do. The previous W10 threads on the forum tell you which update needs deleting and how to do it.
That is correct. On my 'other' laptop I had not disabled Windows Update. I don't use it regularly, so it didn't really bother me.

As a matter of fact, although it may indeed be possible to revert to Windows 7, I'm not too bothered for the reasons I have just given.

It does annoy me, though, that Microsoft have taken the liberty of effectively taking control of our computers in this way. Had it been a free software I might understand it, but we are effectively paying handsomely for Windows, whether it be a purchased disc or pre-installed OS on a computer we buy.

It's like buying a new car and the seller then taking control of where you are allowed to drive it!

The recent introduction of Office 365 also worries me that Microsoft might push a similar system for Windows: you are obliged to pay rental every year in order to continue to use it.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top