Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 08:31 PM

Re: iPads are not the bees knees.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I also disagree with Realist saying the ipad is "Heavy as a brick" .... that's rubbish as mine weighs 437g whereas his Asus eee PC weighs 1.33kg
Yeah . . . a slightly silly argument TBH. Like saying we each have a car but yours is lighter because you've removed all 4 wheels plus the spare in the trunk, plus you've halved the size of the petrol tank and then removed the headlamps, windscreen wipers and front grill ! Do you still have a car there? No not really.

To make the iPad anywhere near a "proper" computer you will add as a minimum a Smart Keyboard which weighs in at 225g for the 9.7" iPad and 340g for the 12.9" iPad.
Then since the iPad is by nature a totally vulnerable open screen device like a Smart Phone, a case is a necessity and once a case is used, let's face it, it stays with the iPad all the time. A Smart Cover will weigh in at 110g/164g.

So all in all you're talking :

iPad 9.7" - 437g + 225g + 110g = 772g
iPad 12.9" - 713g + 340g + 164g = 1217g

So yes, the smaller 9.7" iPad is lighter than a 1200g Asus Netbook but still only half a computer, devoid of the most basic connection sockets and requiring internet access to do any kind of file management. I find it somewhat comical TBH. Imagine wanting to lend your friend, sitting in the same room as you, the paperback book you have just finished reading.

A sensible approach would be to simply hand the book over to the friend ! That's what a decent proper netbook/laptop would do, allowing you to copy say a PDF book onto a USB pen to give to your friend.

The iPad way is the equivalent of wrapping the book up, sticking a postage stamp on it and putting it into the Royal Mail system and posting it to your friends address.

It is patently ludicrous. But . . . clever advertising has resulted in Apple being able to sell millions of these sub-par units to the Sheeple ! Much the same as Murdock's Sky manages to sell millions of sub-par video recording devices (Sky Plus boxes) !

The killer cherry on the cake is that these people are paying circa £500 just for the basic iPad itself plust another £149 for a keyboard and god knows what else for the smart cover.

A much better and more versatile netbook will cost you just £150-£300.

There really is one born every minute !
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yeah . . . a slightly silly argument TBH. Like saying we each have a car but yours is lighter because you've removed all 4 wheels plus the spare in the trunk, plus you've halved the size of the petrol tank and then removed the headlamps, windscreen wipers and front grill ! Do you still have a car there? No not really.

To make the iPad anywhere near a "proper" computer you will add as a minimum a Smart Keyboard which weighs in at 225g for the 9.7" iPad and 340g for the 12.9" iPad.
Then since the iPad is by nature a totally vulnerable open screen device like a Smart Phone, a case is a necessity and once a case is used, let's face it, it stays with the iPad all the time. A Smart Cover will weigh in at 110g/164g.

So yes, the smaller 9.7" iPad is lighter than a 1200g Asus Netbook but still only half a computer, devoid of the most basic connection sockets and requiring internet access to do any kind of file management. I find it somewhat comical TBH. Imagine wanting to lend your friend, sitting in the same room as you, the paperback book you have just finished reading.

A sensible approach would be to simply hand the book over to the friend ! That's what a decent proper netbook/laptop would do, allowing you to copy say a PDF book onto a USB pen to give to your friend.

The iPad way is the equivalent of wrapping the book up, sticking a postage stamp on it and putting it into the Royal Mail system and posting it to your friends address.

It is patently ludicrous. But . . . clever advertising has resulted in Apple being able to sell millions of these sub-par units to the Sheeple ! Much the same as Murdock's Sky manages to sell millions of sub-par video recording devices (Sky Plus boxes) !

The killer cherry on the cake is that these people are paying circa £500 just for the basic iPad itself plust another £149 for a keyboard and god knows what else for the smart cover.

AH SHUT UP. ENOUGH ALREADY.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Oh dear, I don't think it's me who is making a "slightly silly argument" My ipad is not a substitute for a computer, I have a perfectly good computer for that purpose as, I suspect, do the majority of other users.

What on earth do cars have to do with it?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 11:26 PM

The bees knees???
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The bees knees???

It's a wasp, not a bee. But an excellent photo though.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 10:54 AM

I have an MS Surface, complete with keyboard, USB socket, SD socket and a superb screen. Superior in every way.
Piccies? Save them to the USB stick, thence to PC's HD
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 11:02 AM

One of the things I love about my iPad is its stopped me keeping all my pictures on line I'm back to proper paper albums and they look lovely, takes time to decoratively store the piccies but it's worth he effort for the finished thing.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 02:12 PM

I'm no Apple lover either tbh.

I bought an Ipod touch when they first came out and downloaded a reasonable amount of music from Itunes to it.

When I got a new mp3 player it would not play the itunes music as it's protected. You had to go through the tedious task of burning a cd from the itunes tracks and then rip the cd back to mp3.
It's a damn cheek restricting what I could play the music on. I paid for it so it's mine to do with as I wish imo. You often had the same with video formats.

I find them too up themselves, too restrictive and way overpriced.
When it comes to tablets, I use a Nexus 7 which is great imo.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 02:24 PM

I have to say I probably wouldn't have got one at full price, mine came to me when a friend of my husband decided he couldn't get on with it and my husband bought it off him for half the price they are new, it was only a couple of months old so a bargain.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Hi

Apple, described by my son as a triumph of marketing over performance.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top